1993 BX diesel advice please

BX Tech talk
rayc

1993 BX diesel advice please

Post by rayc »

Hello all.

As posted in the "spotteed" section I have just bought a 1993 BX diesel as an interim for a retired friend to use whilst I find him a 406 HDI or similar.

There are a few minor bits and bobs that need sorting (The seller was very honest on Ebay and actually the car is as described). Being the way I am I like everything to work as it should :oops:

There is a knocking noise when driving along over bumps. He thought it was drop links so I bought a pair and was going to change when I did the front pads. However the drop links are fine as are the bottom swivels.

On listening to the nois it seems to come from n/s footwell area and drivers side footwell. I was thinking anti toll bar bushes but I think they are at the front side. I have read here about the subframe bolts? does this sound possible? Are these a beeatch to get at? (Me being 6'3" no ramp or pit only drive up ramps).

The other issues are LHM leaking from drivers strut (found the article on that thankyou :D ) Creaking front struts (Also found that one :D ) Non working rev counter (Well intermittent) which I have also found :D

The suspension goes down after about an hour when sat (All round) so I assume its the accumulator needs changing on the front.

Engine seems strong. Had new head gasket etc at beginnig of the year.

The suspension height linkage is extremely stiff so I have sprayed with WD and hope that sorts it.

I run a franchise for www.lubegard.ch so I have treated the engine and will do the gearbox next! Hopefully that will help the old girl along.

I'll probably waxoyl the underneath too. My wife has taken a bit of a fancy to the old car to keep as a dogs body (How comfortable are they!)
to do the tip runs (It's got a towbar fitted) after my mate has finished with it.

We'll see how it progresses. I'm glad to see there is a following for these old girls. Hopefully we'll see some of you on the roads around.

Enough ramblings for now.

I'm off for a read! :D
1997 Range Rover 4.6 Autobiography on lpg
2004 Peugeot 406 HDI SE Estate
2002 Chevrolet Express Explorer SE LTD X pack day van with 22" lcd tv etc etc
1993 Citroen BX diese; (learning curve) 221,000 miles
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

It could be the subframe bolts but I doubt it. It's nearly always the drop links, they are so difficult to test, if you have new ones, I'd fit them and try again.
The car sinking is quite normal especially on a high mileage model, so, run the car at normal height, turn off the engine and then stand on the towbar. If the car lifts up after a few seconds, the accumulator is fine, if it doesn't, change it.

WD40 should loosen up the height linkages provided you get them all. Then oil and grease them to keep them free.

The rev counter may simply be a poor connection or it could be sat not close enough to the fly wheel. Worst case scenario would be a new or used sensor.

Regards Ken
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cheers Ken

I assume you mean the accumulator in the engine bay?

I'll check the drop links again and change them as I've already bought new ones.

I'll advise on the progress plus rev counter etc :wink:
1997 Range Rover 4.6 Autobiography on lpg
2004 Peugeot 406 HDI SE Estate
2002 Chevrolet Express Explorer SE LTD X pack day van with 22" lcd tv etc etc
1993 Citroen BX diese; (learning curve) 221,000 miles
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Yup Ken meant the accumulator sphere which sits behind the bottom of the radiator.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.