Rattling Shaking Speedo

BX Tech talk
YorkieTXD

Rattling Shaking Speedo

Post by YorkieTXD »

Hi, so i have had my txd for six months and its just passed an mot with one advisory which i am gonna have sorted out. Amongst other things i plan to do with it the Speedo needle is bouncing and the noise is irritating?

anyone come accross this problem before, i had a 76 mini that used to do it which was solved with grease on the cable. But i would of expected a car more modern to be electric measured?

Any ideas.
Current 1993 19 TXD White
Previous 1988 19 Rd
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Re: Rattling Shaking Speedo

Post by jonathan_dyane »

YorkieTXD wrote:Any ideas.
New cable will probably cheer it up.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

This is true :) new cable should sort it, might even have one somewhere :? what was the advisory?
YorkieTXD

Post by YorkieTXD »

Advisory was driveshaft boot. he is a mate though and pointed out the leaks on the fluid pump and accumulator. got any of them kicking about? :lol:
Current 1993 19 TXD White
Previous 1988 19 Rd
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I've a whole heap of s/h hydraulic bits kicking about, but you need to be certain where the leak is coming from, pics might help.
I can guarantee though, no hydraulic pump. :(
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

YorkieTXD wrote: the Speedo needle is bouncing and the noise is irritating?

anyone come accross this problem before, i had a 76 mini that used to do it which was solved with grease on the cable. But i would of expected a car more modern to be electric measured?

Any ideas.
If you had a MkI BX you would have enjoyed the barrel style speedo :wink: When you say a Cra more modern you forget the BX is a Car of the Eighties the only BX model I have heard of with Electronic speedo was the BX19Digit. Which as about as rare as hens teeth even in its day and unreliable speedos.

Anyways yes I think we who have had a few BXs over the years have come across this problem. One thing to check is to make sure the speedometer cable has been clipped into the speedo head properly. Sometimes when the dash head has been removed to change bulbs the speedo can become detached and not clipped in.

The twitch well thats a BX enigma resulting from the car being designed for the lefthand drive market and and ending up with an extension rather than a full cable for us righthand drivers. A little wiggle in the engine bay where the join is may also help. Again result of being knocked during engine work maybe?

I think it is rare not to find a BX that does not have a speedometer Twitch :o

Of the two I currently have One does not :shock: and I think the reason is the Plastic tips on it that allow the cable to flex better? One snag though the speedometer and odometer are inaccurate as I am finding with the use of a GPS and checks against other vehicles on the same trips. Faster I go the more the differance 8)

As for your advisorys they sound so damn typical! Best advice is clean them and check the pipe connections and maybe (BIG WORDS OF CAREFULLY) tighten them with a open ended spanner a tweak. Be very careful though!

Over in NZ we get 2 MOTs a year the advisory of Hydraulic leak seems to come every other test. A clean seems to work! Its annoying when its just a damp patch or small drip that does not hit the ground.
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

kiwi wrote: One does not :shock: and I think the reason is the Plastic tips on it that allow the cable to flex better? One snag though the speedometer and odometer are inaccurate as I am finding with the use of a GPS and checks against other vehicles on the same trips. Faster I go the more the differance 8)
I've always expected speedo's to have a slight error normally erring showing faster rather than slower. :)
I checked mine against GPS and amazingly it is spot on the mark across the range checking at the 10mph points from 30 mph upwards. :shock:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

The speedo on the St Tropez is pretty much bang on with the sat nav yet my company Scirocco is between 5-8mph out.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Gti is showing a true 68mph at an indicated 70, once the bloody needle settles down, it seems to be variable, one minute its fine, next minute its moving about quite a lot, v-strange.....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Monica's (TXD Turbo) speedo is rock steady, and pretty much accurate when measured against other vehicles alongside (hands-free, of course!)

It's the damn fuel gauge needle that twitches like a twitchy thing on a twitchy day!! Probably related to chip-oil in the tank causing gunge-up!)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

MULLEY wrote:Gti is showing a true 68mph at an indicated 70, once the bloody needle settles down, it seems to be variable, one minute its fine, next minute its moving about quite a lot, v-strange.....
I would stick new top and bottom cables on mate, should do the trick on haggerty aswell.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Debelix
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Debelix »

Before changing the cables you could try resorting them. What happens is that often they are bended at too sharp angles and the effect is that the speedo needle is bouncing and have this irritating sound. Trace the cables and re-sort the angles at which they bend - take care every bend to be at least 90 degrees or more with largest possible radius of the curve. If this doesn't help... well, new cables :) Good luck!
Driving a 1989 Citroen BX 19TRD
Before that - Frankenstein in the form of 1992 Lada Samara 1500S