BX 14 - a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing

BX Tech talk
Mike Holdstock
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mike Holdstock »

Right, found something:

"Electronic cleaner
Quick-working de-greasing and cleaning spray for electrical equipment, instruments, electrical motors etc. Low surface tension, not electrically conductive, evaporates completly and leaves no residue. 400 ml"

Sound right?

I've been looking at the idle motor and wondered about whta you call "the tip end of the stteper motor" - you mean the threaded section? The (plastic) body has coming from it what appears to be a thin rubber glove/cover/sleeve which appears to be intended to protect the threaded section. I presume that what we are trying to acheive is to clean up the thread so that the motor can move the threaded section thus effecting the throttle control. But should I pull back the rubber glove/sleeve to avoid damaging this when the "tip" is soaking in the carb cleaner?

In contact with a very helpful Lloyd at FPUK about a replacement idler, when its needed. He tells me its a Bosch or Marelli, and is waiting for me to be able to identify which with apart number. Which will mean a bit of dismantling.

Still very high idle speed, but the white smoke has gone and the lumpiness. Theres some white creamy goo under the radiator cap - but thats not new - and it looks a bit oily, but there is no water loss so I think that the upheaval i caused when getting the adv/retard system reoperating hasn't done any permanent damage. A collosal amount of fuel got used while it was lumpy - double the normal - but that seems to be over now.

Taking a couple of days out to enjoy some good sailing weather. We haven't had much of that this summer.

Thanks for your continued support and advise.

Mike
OWNS a BX19i 1990 tri with only 110k km on the clock and no rust
OWNS a life-threatened BX16i and delighted with it (but poor relationship with test station)
HAS HAD 89 BX14iRE (dead)
HAS HAD 88 BX19GtI (dead)
HAD 89 BX14RE which was still motoring very well at 280.000km when there was too much rust (gone)
HAD about 5 GS (first 1978) in the 70's, 80's and 90's, loved them, would dearly have one again.
HAD a DS Break - Succumbed to the rust of ages..
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

that cleanning fluid sounds just the job,

but you descrition of the device dose not appear to be exactly the same as the stteper motors i have delt with up to now,

but that may be because the one's i have done are on later car's like XANTs and SAXO's,

can you post a picy, no not a rude oneTEA HE

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)