Fuel pipe (EFI) replacement problem

BX Tech talk
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Fuel pipe (EFI) replacement problem

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Help!

I am replacing the two fuel pipes under my car which are severly rusted.

But I cannot join the new steel pipe (the larger one ) onto the rubber pipe under the fuel tank because the rubber part is about 20mm too short, and access is very poor between the tank and the sill.

I have tried disconnecting the other end of the fuel pipe from the fuel filter, but this does not give me any more free play.
Is the other end of this pipe indeed on the filter? or is it on to a pulse damper which I cannot see.

If I had known how hard this connection would be, I would have simply left 10cm of the old steel pipe, and joined to that.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

Hi Mike,
I had some similar problems when replacing the fuel pipes on my TXD last year! (The pipes are the same).
It is indeed difficult to get enough of the rubber pipe to get a grip on, to fully insert the new steel pipe, but it IS possible with a bit of fiddling!

I posted a similar query myself at the time. Maybe you will find something useful in it......

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8778

Good Luck!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

as i understand the system, fuel comes from the tank (through the pickup) to the pump, then to the fuel filter, then the pulse damper, then to the front of the car. On the return the pipes go straight back to the tank. I may have the order of the filter and pump the wrong way round, but flow is deffinately from the pulse damper to the fuel rail.

I had a similar problem on the conversion back to petrol, i found it simple enough to haul the old pipe out with a lenght of string on the end, the pull a new length back in. I think in my case the damper had been by-passed making the pipe just that bit shorter.

Obviously this is not the same as a diesel setup which runs directly back and forth from tank to engine.