EMERGENCY - Ignition lock cylinder bust - need advise SOONES

BX Tech talk
Mike Holdstock
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mike Holdstock »

WE HAVE ALL SYSTEMS GO!

Thanks to all and everyone.

I need a restroom and a coffee, then I'm off home.

Mike
OWNS a BX19i 1990 tri with only 110k km on the clock and no rust
OWNS a life-threatened BX16i and delighted with it (but poor relationship with test station)
HAS HAD 89 BX14iRE (dead)
HAS HAD 88 BX19GtI (dead)
HAD 89 BX14RE which was still motoring very well at 280.000km when there was too much rust (gone)
HAD about 5 GS (first 1978) in the 70's, 80's and 90's, loved them, would dearly have one again.
HAD a DS Break - Succumbed to the rust of ages..
Mike Holdstock
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Mike Holdstock »

Winding up the story - I have sourced and fitted a ignition key and cable unit from a 1990 BXRE which only had 130000 km on the clock, and everything functions well.

Once again many thanks for being there, none less than any other.

Some bits of information which I will add from the escapade:

SIMPLEX lock:THE PIN WILL ONLY MOVE WHEN THE KEY IS IN THE RIGHT POISTION
the much discussed pin - which has to be shifted (withdrawn into the lock housing) in order to remove the lock/switch unit from the barrel, will ONLY withdraw (at least on the item I have fitted today) when the key is aligned with the "line" between the "S" and the "A" on the chromed plate through which you put the key (marked S/stop. this line, A/accessories, M/Marche ignition and everything, D/Starter) Tried it lots of times, but thats what I found. Pin ONLY movable when key at line.
I always wondered what that line indicated.

Fuse box can be made more accessible by gently prising the "hinges" right at the back from the runners in which they glide. I found it easier to first get the hinge off closest to the outside of the car, then that closest to gearbox - insert same order. Removing a relay and a black plug also made it a lot easier to get at the red and white cable plugs from the lock.

There is also a small bolt (with a lock washer) that goes through and secures the barrel to the lock unit. On my original this bolt went into a nut which was recessed into the lock body at 12 oclock, under the lock unit sleeve. In the replacement unit there is still a hole behind the sleeve to take the nut, but no nut; BUT a threaded opening (at about 3 oclock) which is in line with the barrel "extension" (the flat bit that comes out from the side with no apparent function) , at the near end of which "extension" there was a hole through which the bolt is now screwed. 8mm, needs an open spanner (or a pair of pliers, it wasn't that tight on) I couldn't get a socket in because of proximity to the "extension".

What is the function of the flat extension?

VALFO lock which is on my September 88 Gti, has a pin system to lock the lock unit barrel into the surround BUT it/they both are at the lowest point on the barrel i.e. nearest the floor. There are two teeth (part of the same bit of metal) in line along the length of the barrel.
The Valfo lock also has only four cables - red, green, yellow, orange. This Valfo is not however the original - but I am pretty sure supplied by Citroen to the previous owner who ran into an MOT guy having a bad day - demanded that the lock was replaced since it was too loose.

I'll get a decent camera on this tomorrow, now its too dark.

Many thanks again

Mike
OWNS a life-threatened BX16i and delighted with it (but poor relationship with test station)
HAD 89 BX14RE which was still motoring very well at 280.000km when there was too much rust (gone)
HAD about 5 GS (first 1978) in the 70's, 80's and 90's, loved them, would dearly have one again.
Mike Holdstock
Confirmed BX'er

Warning buzzer lights/ingnition off.

Post by Mike Holdstock »

Where is the buzzer that is supposed to tell me that I have left the headlights on when I have turned off the ignition?

Since I haven't got the trim back I might as well fix it.

Mike