Electrical Gremlins

BX Tech talk
robertsmart

Electrical Gremlins

Post by robertsmart »

Chaps

On my 1992 19 TGD Estate which was working perfectly until last night, the following cease to work:

Dash back lights - except oil guage surround, warning lights work.
Front electric windows
All wipers
Radio
Brake lights

All other electronic functions seem to work ok.

I then proceeded to check fuses, they are all ok, and even changed them all. When referring to the owners manual, I noticed that fuse 3 controls most of the things that have stopped working on my car. I suspect that it is not pure co-incidence

I'll just list what it controls to save you looking:
Heated Rear Window Relay - Don't know if this works
Front and Rear Window Winders - Don't work
Brake lamps - Don't work
Door Closure warning - Don't have that
Front and Rear wash wipe - Don't work
Glove box lamp - Works
Door closure indicator lighting - Don't have that
Directional or fixed spot lamps - Don't have fog lamps
Dashboard lighting reostat - the warning lights come on, but it is not backlit, ie speedo, rev counter etc.

It is probably some simple thing that has decided to play up that has knocked out all these things. I have this car up for sale, and Sod's law states that the car has to bugger about when people ring up interested in it!

Unfortunately I don't have a multi-meter or any electrical testing equipment. However I can borrow some equipment.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Robert
1980 CX Athena
1990 XM 2.0 Si
1994 XM 2.0 TCT Prestige
1996 XM 2.1 TD VSX
1997 Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT Soon to become a BX Meteor 1.9D Auto.
2000 XM 2.1 TD VSX
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

The circuit diagrams should offer some clues if you cross-refer....

Just updating this reply by edit. I was very pushed for time when wrote the first reply and didn't have any diagrams to hand. I don't have them to hand now, but I'd be looking for a common earthing point related to these devices, or checking the electrical interconnect box (i.e. the remainder of the panel where the fuses locate).

Check all relays are correctly seated, and for any connectors behind those which have become displaced and may need re-seating. If the interconnect box isn't firmly pushed up and latched, a stray passenger foot can cause some hard-to-diagnose funnies (assuming a RHD car as it's under the steering column of a LHD car).

Anything you did by way of checks or repairs immediately before the fault occurred could be worth reviewing (check where a connector could have been displaced or a wire damaged).
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.