Security Valve

BX Tech talk
Way2go
Over 2k

Security Valve

Post by Way2go »

Came back to the car this afternoon & noticed the wet stuff underneath. :( Upon investigation it seems to be the return from the security valve where it does that sharp 180deg turn and a split in the outside of the turn. Can't pull the pipe back to gain some length to trim it and reattach as the plastic pipe it's attached to does not want to come back (I suspect that there is a y piece in line that the pressure reg plastic pipe joins into which is stopping it) and the hose clip is also going to be a fiddle to undo.

Access in this area is a real PITA.

Any recommendations on procedure welcome after much headscratching. Do I need to get rubber pipe from GSF or will other factors have suitable stuff off a reel?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Yes, during a routine inspection, that rubber pipe was noticed just in time, as it was cracked and weeping LHM.

It's a little fiddly as it's lacking in working space. I used silicone tube to effect a repair.

The difficult task was working on my own, and trying to hold the plastic pipe rigid to enable the new tube to be pushed over the end to effect a good seal.

Good luck.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yeah you just need a bit more rubber pipe of the same size, but longer. Isn't there a scrappies near you where you could rob some from a nice Xantia?