Clutch or cable?

BX Tech talk
BX nut
Confirmed BX'er

Clutch or cable?

Post by BX nut »

I am having trouble engaging reverse gear when the engine is hot, on my 1.9TZD 1993. It does select but with the sort of grinding crunch you would expect from a metal works grinding machine.! Any ideas whether this is going to be the cable, hopefully as a lot cheaper to replace, or is a new clutch needed? :cry:

Oh yeh it selects fine when started first thing in the morning. :P
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

It could be neither! The pedal box sometimes collapses causing this, I'd try adjusting the cable and see how things progress...

Is the clutch unduly heavy?
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I'm guessing, the clutch, but like Jonathan say's it could be the cable/pedal box.

A 19TZD, n/a diesel yes? you should be able to adjust the clutch a little at the gearbox end. Haynes covers it quite well.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I had the same problem with my old 91 19TZD and was all set to put a new clutch but he of the magic spanners from wakefield adjusted it and all was well again.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
BX nut
Confirmed BX'er

re clutch or cable

Post by BX nut »

Many thanks for the info guys. I will have a go at adjusting the cable tomorrow if the rain ever stops lol. Def not the pedal as althought the accelerator pedal has come away from the base plate the clutch seems fine. Must get that welded up at some point too.
Will let you know how it goes 8)
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

have the sdame issue with my TZI19 (TZI is the same as a TZD isnt it?)

when warm i have to wait till the revs have settled all the way down before i can put it into revers

how heavey is your clutch
do you feel liek you left leg is getting stronger than your right?

if this is the case you may be looing at having ot replace the clutch
i can give you a detailed break down of this after the weekend
(when was the clutch last replaced??)

also you need to look at the swing arm that the clutch cable ataches to at the gear box end make sure it screwed in tight
also check the bush that the swing arm pivets on and its not flush to the swing arm but sticks up slightly
BX nut
Confirmed BX'er

Thanks

Post by BX nut »

I have just been out and adjusted the cable. Magic it looks like it worked:-) Fantastic!!!! Many thanks to all who posted a reply. I only joined a few days ago so didn't quite know how this worked but I very glad to see there are plenty of us BX owner/enthusiasts still out there. If anyone lives near Gloucester and knows of any BX meetings please let me know. :D :D :D
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if the pedel box is/was failling (which time will tell), its not usualy the pedel breaking away from the mountting, its usualy the small bracket attached to the forward face of the pedel box which the outter cable sitts against tearring away, as it is only attached from new by three spot welds,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

citronut wrote:if the pedal box is/was failing,
its usually the small bracket attached to the forward face of the pedal box which the outer cable sits against tearing away, as it is only attached from new by three spot welds,
regards malcolm
Malcolm
True if this is an early type (As normally found on MK1 BX's unless swapped) but they were modified for the MK2 and on replacement ones for the early type's, with an addition of two small fillet welds (in addition to the three spot welds), one was on top side where the bracket tended to 'Tear' away from the main pedal box frame and the other was up one of the sides (Left or Right) I not sure which side and I can't check now as my last available pedal box was claimed a few day's ago.
But even on the modified type of pedal box, they still have the metal fatigue (Cracking) problem on the right hand side (fold) which carries the accelerator pedal, so its a case of welding that up or a replacement !

I hope that's cleared that one up now, as I remember you've stated quite a few times in previous posts about 'There's only three spot weld's' on this small bracket attached to the pedal box assembly (No offense of course) !
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

no problem RxBX

it is quite some time since i last took/worked on a pedel box from a BX,

as for the right hand side the accelerator pedal pivots on, i used to weld the split and then weld to lengths of cut off bolts at a diaganol from the edge of the side angle the the main back plate/pert of the box,

i never had to re/weld them after this

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)