Why is it......

BX Tech talk
rob-81
BXpert

Why is it......

Post by rob-81 »

That sometimes my TGD sinks quickly and other times doesn't? Last week, I had five new spheres and new LHM. Since then, as well as a much improved ride, the back doesn't sink within minutes of stopping (new LHM? The old was very dirty). However, of the 8 or so mornings I have driven the car since the sphere change, on 6 ocassions it has seemed to be close to normal ride height after resting for 12 hours but on two ocassions, it has been nearly on the bumstops. Bit of a silly question I know but I'm just curious to know what causes this variation.
Thanks!
Rob
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I imagine the new accumulator sphere will have helped to keep the back end up as it will keep the system pressurised longer?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

I know the acc sphere keeps pressure up after switching off but I'm curious to know why sometimes it sinks quicker than other times.
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Things take a while to settle down after fitting new spheres, before setting into a pattern - which might well be different from the pre-change pattern. As it's been all-change on sphere and fluid front it may take a while to settle into that pattern.

I guess a dissertation could be written on the subject but the bottom line is really whether anything untoward is happening that you wouldn't expect from a 15-year-old-plus hydropneumatic Citroen. Doseur valves and rear struts leak back as they age but can generally be lived with.

(i) Is the car always parked in the same place and attitude and the same way round? Is it on a slope or not? Parking on a slope nose-end-up will accentuate any rear-end leakback, while of course the other way puts the weights and forces more on the front.

(ii) Push the rear down before getting into the car if it's still up after an overnight lay-up. If there is deterioration of the rear arm bearings they can provide a frictional resistance which keeps the rear end up in the absence of pressure before dropping suddenly. If this happens and there's metallic noise too they'll need attention.

Otherwise I'd just keep observing.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

Thanks for that, I wasn't unduly worried, the sphere and fluid change seems to have given it a new lease of life, just curious really.

My old activa used to settle at some very strange angles at times - used to be very unsettling!!

Thanks,
rob
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

that will be a knackered 'roll valve' on the Activa (or a knackered control unit).

Its perfectly normal to have different sinking times, if it was permanently up then you would be looking at a far greater problem ie lots of dirty and blocked valves and lots of replacement parts. Just be glad it doesn't have the Xantia break away rear height connector