Carb revs higher than normal

BX Tech talk
french driver

Carb revs higher than normal

Post by french driver »

Hi BX19 with a solex carb is showing 1500rpm and the engine is runnng fast. Adjusting the idle screw makes no differance, Engine is warm after a long drive so not cold engine.

Any ideas?
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Someone elsewhere reported raised and rising revs recently on a carb-fed BX19 in higher ambient temperature as the engine got hotter. I can't remember the exact outcome, but there was a possibility that fuel vapourisation within the carb at higher-than-usual temperatures was causing the problem.

In this case the rising revs could be temporarily alleviated by opening the bonnet for a while. From what you say this doesn't seem to be happening. Is it just raised revs at idle, or across the board, and is the throttle pedal firmly back with its stop hard up against the pedal box?

Put another way, is the throttle pedal returning promptly and fully to rest as it should do?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
french driver

Post by french driver »

The throttle is behaving normally just the revs staying just under the 1500rpm position.
Adjusting idle screw no differance unless you screw in the idle screw which in turn increases the revs further. No effect then.
Was thinking the auto choke stuck if so how can you tell?
Thanks in advance.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

How about the smell of rich mixture at the exhaust - and general sooting-up at that end too?

From memory, the autochoke control is by waxstat linked to coolant temperature, and the branch of the coolant system for this is at the highest point of the coolant system, making it prone to airlock, low-coolant level problems etc. Apart from that there's the distinct possibility that the waxstat's just got too old to function properly.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i agree with DLM
but also the coolant in and out posts which the two coolant feed pipes attatch to are cast alloy, which close up due to corrosion internally,

it is possible to dismantel the wax stat housing and clean the two spouts/ports out,

the only other thing is if it were over chokeing it would also be difficult to start whilst the engine is hot,

i would give all the carb linkage's a good soaking with duckoil (contect) then move/work all the linkages,

i do NOTadvise the use of WD40 as this dry's thing out and is abbrasive

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

hmmmmmm

i posted about the same on the bx project

but mine's been converted to a manual choke

engine gets hot and idle revs climb

and its a 19 as well

i wonder what the fuck is going on.............
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

what about the flap in the air intake, which opens and shuts the hot air supply from the manifold to carb, (summer/winter)

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
french driver

Post by french driver »

Never thought of that flap...good idea.

I did notice this morning the coolant level was down a bit and had to put in 400ml to get it to the correct point. The point being level with the top of the radiator about 5cm below the cap for expansion.

Maybe a airlock problem then? But will look at the other ideas as well when get some time.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the coolant level should be at the bottom of the rad kneck,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
french driver

Post by french driver »

It is thanks anyways malcolm.

May have found the problem or at least a cure by winding back an idle screw that is the extra bit for the air conditioning unit. Seems to have sorted the problem.

How I come to the conclussion was everything was fine when I was playing around with it until I decided to flick on the aircon. When I switched off the aircon up came the revs. So the fault seems to be relating to how the aircon interacts with the carb idle.

See how that goes in a couple of days may not be the problem but elimination process.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You have air con? A very rare option...at least here in the UK. I've never come across a carb fed A/C BX, just the valvers, Gtis and Turbodiesels. Are you over here or do you live somewhere where A/C is more 'the norm'?
Welcome along by the way!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

I think the aircon-specific idle adjustment is an anti-stall measure - the carbs for such a BX are specific to aircon models.

The extra load from the aircon compressor can do a good job of stalling even a diesel turbo at low revs if care is not exercised - I flip the aircon off at junctions as a precautionary measure.
french driver

Post by french driver »

well many thanks go to Kiwi for the PM he sent suggesting where to look.

It may be the result of knocking the idle adjustment when I replaced an alternator belt it seems to have occurred about the same time.

You right mat I am not in the UK but I have another of those dreaded antipodean BX models. The problem is now resolved it looks like anyways.