BX wont stop

BX Tech talk
Mino

BX wont stop

Post by Mino »

Hello. When I turn the ignition key to turn by BX off the engine keeps running. The warning battery symbol on the dash is lit up. Its a diesel TZD Turbo. I have to deliberately stall it to cut the engine. Any ideas?
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

The stop solenoid on the injector pump has failed. This is a bobbin shaped device screwed into the pump on top of the pumping head (the bit that the injector pipes come out of).

A new one is about £30 IIRC. Note, there is a stop lever on the pump to use in these situations, which you can use if you want to give your clutch less of a hard time...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
BX nut
Confirmed BX'er

Post by BX nut »

Yep 99% sure it's going to be the stop solenoid gone pop. Therefore it's still letting fuel through to the engine even without the ignition turned on.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

My understanding is that there are different types of stop solenoid for the different pumps out there. If its a Lucas pump its quite easy to change, if its a bosch its harder? or is that the roto pump? I can never remember.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The Bosch pump is a bit of a pain as the solenoid is right against the body of the pump, making it difficult to get a spanner onto it and turn it.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Mino

bx wont stop

Post by Mino »

Thanks for the advice so far. Its a 1991 so does anyone know if its a bosch or a lucas. I will check the pumping head see if I can spot the solennoid. Didn't have much time to look this morning but could not spot the lever mentioned to cut the fuel. At this rate I'll need a new clutch as well!
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Bosch/Lucas equipment was fitted according to what was available/cheaper at the time, and is not linked to year; either could be fitted. Easy to identify however, they have the manufacturer written on the pump body...

On the Bosch the emergency stop lever is fitted to the front face of the pump (the bit facing you when you're standing in front of the car) and on the lucas it's on the top of the pump to the left, sharing an axle with the fast idle lever. If they haven't been operated in some years they may be stiff and a squirt of lubrication may be in order...

The only other thing that could cause that would be a wiring short giving power to the stop solenoid regardless of the ignition being turned on, however you can easily test this with a test lamp/multimeter before buying a new solenoid. More unlikely however...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »