TZD making a clatter, blowing diesel smoke, no turbo whistle

BX Tech talk
Erikbm

TZD making a clatter, blowing diesel smoke, no turbo whistle

Post by Erikbm »

I have one of the very few diesel BXs in OZ (1990 TZD), so I need some help.
I was driving vigorously through the hills when the engine became more noisy, the power surge from the turbo changed and clouds of black smoke started coming out of the exhaust.
I kept driving and it appeared to behave and sound normally once the revs got to 3000, but at 1800-2000 the smoke appeared and the car struggled more than normal. The usual turbo whistle appears to have disappeared.
It now idles erratically and needs a fair bit of throttle to get it started and keep it running and it makes an awful clatter, like the injector pump or the tappets are going mental.

What do I look for? I have taken the tappet cover off to check it still has oil and it has, but I don't know what to do next. Can the timing belt slip a tooth and do this?

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Erik from OZ
Current Citroens:
BX TZD (rare private import), BX 19TZI (auto works in reverese but not forwards), AX GTI (waiting for a carby for it to bypass the problem EFI system), CX 2400 (works but waiting for me to put the leather interior in), Mercedes 300D (recently stolen and recovered but with every bit of glass smashed), Mercedes 450 SEL (very close to having it running again), plus a few others...
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The timing belt could indeed have slipped. That has to be one of the first things to check before stipping anything down.
Erikbm

Post by Erikbm »

Thanks Ken, I forgot to add that the engine has done 260,000 km or about 160k miles. The timing belt is not due for a change yet, but I will check it.

Does it also drive the injector pump?
Current Citroens:
BX TZD (rare private import), BX 19TZI (auto works in reverese but not forwards), AX GTI (waiting for a carby for it to bypass the problem EFI system), CX 2400 (works but waiting for me to put the leather interior in), Mercedes 300D (recently stolen and recovered but with every bit of glass smashed), Mercedes 450 SEL (very close to having it running again), plus a few others...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I've had the problem you describe on a petrol Volvo Turbo which got progressively worse until every move off belched a black cloud over the car behind.
The fault was the turbo itself having shot bearings and passing oil into the unit. The diesel boys will be able to tell you whether this failure also happens on the BX turbo units but I cant see why they would be exempt if they need oil to keep them running smoothly.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Yes it does drive the injection pump.
It also has an idler pulley and a tensioner pulley, it would only need one of these or the water pump to have a bit of free play in it to allow the belt to jump.

It could be the turbo but I've never come across this. Could also be the fuel pump itself, but lets stay positive and check the belt first.
Erikbm

Post by Erikbm »

I have checked the timing and it seems as though it is a few teeth out. I am almost ready to bolt it all back together and try it, but I have run out of enthusiasm today. I will finish it tomorrow and let you know.
Current Citroens:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

BE SURE TO TURN THE ENGINE MANUALLY AT LEAST 2 FULL REVOLUTIONS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO START IT WITH THE KEY!
Erikbm

Post by Erikbm »

Thanks Ken,

I have done that and it doesn't hit anything.
Current Citroens:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

All should be OK then, might pay to re-tension the belt after it's been run.
Erikbm

Problem is fixed

Post by Erikbm »

I think I have fixed it. I checked the timing belt and it was a little bit loose and the timing was not correct. I figured it had somehow jumped a tooth or two.

I reset it (a little bit fiddly to find the hole under the starter motor to stick my 8 mm drill bit into) tried it and it sounded much better and no more black smoke. I put it all back together and took it for a drive and it is certainly back to normal, although I will need to drive it longer to be certain.

I guess the clatter was a valve just starting to hit a piston??? I hope I haven't done any damage. Anyway, I am relieved to have it working again.
Thanks for your thoughts. I wasn't relishing trying to get a new turbo for it from OS.
Current Citroens:
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

So you've just reset the timing with the original belt? You need to ask yourself why it jumped teeth (either the belt is ancient and knackered, or a replacement that wasn't properly tensioned) and as either of these situations involve the belt being damaged (even if the belt was improperly tensioned and slipped, it will have sustained damage to itself due to running slack and skipping teeth) you really want to be fitting a new belt PDQ...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Erikbm

Post by Erikbm »

Yes it is the original belt. A new one is not something I can get locally. It was poorly tensioned. I did have a look at it before putting it back on and it seemed OK, but I accept your advice and will order one PDQ.

Thanks, Erik
Current Citroens:
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Good plan :)
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Easy access to parts like belts etc is something we take for granted I suppose :?
Erikbm

Post by Erikbm »

Ah yes,
Not to mention complete 2nd hand engines... or 300 pound diesel BXs...

Even so, it looks as though it may be a common part for the Pug 405TD engine that we have in Australia, so I will make a few phone calls.
Current Citroens: