How to remove the to green bombs at the engine?

BX Tech talk
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I had heard that was the way to do the rears Doc, i'm sure sooner rather than later i'll be changing some.
Sooner's probably best, so long as you're well tooled-up and follow that procedure. If a cylinder does start to turn, even with a heavily-loaded-up boot, then a large stilson tightened against the sphere end of the strut cylinder and braced against the ground did the job for me on the most corroded-in set of rear spheres I've ever changed.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

If they're THAT tight, then shocking them loose with a man sized hammer and a really sharp, weighty cold chisel is usually the way to go, get's rid of all that built up anger at how crap french cars are at the same time!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Erikbm

Post by Erikbm »

The cold chisel and hammer has worked for me before and was recommended to me by an aussie citroen mechanic. Make sure it is sharp and place it on the middle of the sphere.

A robust strap wrench also works and I suspect you could make a temporary one by using an old seatbelt, making a loop by tying a knot so it is a bit bigger than the sphere, then putting a small jemmy bar or cold chisel or jack handle into the gap and turning it until it is tight and then levering in the direction you want it to go - or you could just go and buy a chain wrench... :wink:

Erik
Current Citroens:
BX TZD (rare private import), BX 19TZI (auto works in reverese but not forwards), AX GTI (waiting for a carby for it to bypass the problem EFI system), CX 2400 (works but waiting for me to put the leather interior in), Mercedes 300D (recently stolen and recovered but with every bit of glass smashed), Mercedes 450 SEL (very close to having it running again), plus a few others...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Erikbm wrote: - or you could just go and buy a chain wrench... :wink:

Erik
:lol: :lol: :lol:

After breaking 2 chain wrenches, I bought the robust strap wrench which works a treat. :D
Hammer and chisel is best for the accumulator sphere within it's restricted space though! 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Cor, this is a handy thread. I've got to change the accumulator on my TGD, but I'm not quite sure about the 'hammer and chisel' method. Where exactly do you need to strike it?

Would it work if I fastened a hose clip around it tightly to give me something to hit? I've done that for stubborn oil filters before now...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Access from underneath. Cold chisel at an angle to the centre weld and a sharp tap or two will start it to move. Then you can unscrew it by hand. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks. I'll have a go once I've actually got the sphere.