hydraulic pipes & tool

BX Tech talk
patrickm
Confirmed BX'er

hydraulic pipes & tool

Post by patrickm »

hi,wonder if anyone can help,i need the adaptor to make some new hydraulic pipes for my bx & cx,ive got a standard brake pipe flaring tool but no adaptors for citroen pipes,need to either buy one (cheap!)or borrow one this weekend please.also need to buy a roll of pipe,ends,joiners etc & a new 4 way union for the rear that the pipes go into as the old pipes have seized into the brass.any help would be much appreciated!have tried my local gsf but no luck!the child who served me has never heard of a citroen i think!am in either portsmouth or manchester.thankyou :D
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I don't have a flare tool myself, but I'm pretty sure that only very few have the right metric adaptors available. Are they all 3.5mm pipes you are replacing? You might find it hard to gather all the things you mention for this weekend.

Was that the Portsmouth GSF? They've normally been pretty good with my BX requests, though it helps to make it plain you do know what you want and it's on their database. Just don't expect it to be available through GSF any more, on recent experience.

They're just off the Eastney end of Eastern Avenue. Yeomans (Cit dealer) in Fareham can sometimes be helpful if you get the right person. AEP still do some made-up pipes (not rolls) and the odd union, though delivery charges may be steep.

I try to go to GSF (or call them) armed with part numbers from the website and I don't mention the fact it's for a BX if it's someone I haven't been served by before.

e.g. "I'd like to check availability for these parts numbers..."

N65988 PIPE NUT-3.5mm NUT FOR N65972 0.40
N65996 PIPE SEAL LHM TYPE 3.5MM PIPE SEAL 0.65
N65972 BRAKE PIPE-50M ROLL ROLL OF 3.5MM HYD PIPE 75.00

or maybe, should you need them (and have the right pipe & union nuts)

N65998 PIPE SEAL 4.5MM 0.65
N65992 PIPE CONNECTOR(???) 2 WAY CONN. 3.5MM 2.50

As you're looking at making up pipes yourself rather than buying Citroen made-up ones, you might as well go straight to Kunifer rather than steel (GSF only stock 3.5mm steel pipe, if at all, nowadays).
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
patrickm
Confirmed BX'er

hi

Post by patrickm »

thanks for the info,will have another go at talking to them :D
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

After asking lots of knowledgeable folk at the Stratford meet ( and by knowledgeable i mean people who wrote the book and make a living from HP cits) I was told the Pleiades 01487 831239 have them back in stock again. But they have been less and less interested in actually doing buisness over the last few years so if you phone and they say they are getting them in soon, forget it, its been like that for three years.

Outside of that it is not possible to buy the dies, or the hand tool alone (i've tried all kinds of tool makers including Facom and Sealey who used to carry them) but there are no more. The only way to get the tool now is the buy the big vice mounted unit and make them up off the car at a cost of £200. There is a guy in France who sells a kit (to the UK) with the bench mounted tool, pipes, flares, seals, and a box for less than £200. My understanding is that the guy is an ex-pat.
patrickm
Confirmed BX'er

hi

Post by patrickm »

thanks for the info :D
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

The only way to get the tool now is the buy the big vice mounted unit and make them up off the car at a cost of £200.
Would that be the same as what someone's offering on ebay for £185 at the moment?
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

The only way to get the tool now is the buy the big vice mounted unit and make them up off the car at a cost of £200.
Would that be the same as what someone's offering on ebay for £185 at the moment?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Can you not buy the pipes ready made up now?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

DLM, yep thats the one, never used that style, and while convinced it will do a better job and is easier, i wouldnt want to fish a new pipe in and out.

Ken, new cit pipes arent Kunifer are they?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Thats not to say the originals arent easier and quicker to fit, but i like the idea of the kunifer if it lasts longer.

I also like to make special pipes :D
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

No, they are steel, but I figure, if they properly protected they are going to outlast the car anyway. :?
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Made-up pipe availability seems to be getting a bit patchy now, and as for the steel/kunifer question, who knows how many winters are coming up like the last one?
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I have found the pipes I need recently on ebay

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!