Hmmm. Leaky leaky

BX Tech talk
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

mat_fenwick wrote:Exactly. :) For me that applies to motoring in general, it would be very dull to drive around in a bland Eurobox. Although I've never been left stranded by my BX, or indeed any of my current fleet, there is always the feeling when driving an older car (perhaps Citroens especially!) that each journey is a little bit of an adventure! Am I alone in getting a sense of satisfaction driving past newer broken down vehicles?
Regarding France, I'm sure we'll get you round one way or another even if something does fail!
When you drive cars the age I drive, everything else is newer :lol:
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Just a quick point - which octopus are we referring to here? Most of the time an octopus repair is putting off the inevitable, as if one section has rotted and perished away then some of the other sections may not be far behind it.

I also ask which octopus because while the large octopus is still around from a few sources (or was when I last looked), the small octopus comes in two varieties and I'm pretty sure it's nowadays a Citroen-dealer-sourced part. That probably means factoring-in a few days lead-time for any replacement, in France or in the UK. That assumes it's not been discontinued yet.
that negative camber at the rear just means we can corner faster
If a tad more imprecisely and noisily. I did take a BX with shot rear arms squeaky-squeaky down to near Biarritz a few years ago and then onward briefly as far as Bilbao, then back again. A leaky octopus cropped up along the way, which had to be replaced. All else was pretty much a known quantity as timing belt, cooling system, head, brakes and various other things had all seen a lot of attention beforehand and were a known quantity.

I did have a set of replacement rear arms waiting to fit back at home with new bearings already in place. These were the times when whole BXs were still a relatively common sight in a scrapyard, and I could therefore regard the old arms as sacrificial. I knew the arms were probably beyond redemption before I started, but time to do them beforehand had run out.

This is a point that provokes some debate in these circles, but a set of rear arms that at the end of your trip have a bearing housing area resembling a particularly savage moonscape, and have the outer section of the housing worn out to oval or worse are probably not the best raw material to fit new bearings to afterwards. Pleiades, in your neck of the woods, may possibly still re-con rear arms with a newly-machined insert for the bearing-housing area, but they will not be cheap.

Worse case scenario, but worth bearing in mind (no pun intended).

Indeed, a pair of not-so-worn donor arms might conceivably be sitting in a BX in a French scrapyard somewhere along the way, but you've got a tight schedule and there are other factors worth keeping in mind if you've already got a pretty heavily-laden BX, albeit an estate.

I guess my main point is whether you want to make your BX "sacrificial" in the name of BXagon, or whether you want it to continue to provide service after the event.

I'm not wanting to spoil anyone's fun, but forewarned is forearmed.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

David makes some good points there - it's not going to do the arms any good by continuing to drive with them! That said, in my experience, knackered bearings seem to damage the sealing area rather than the area the bearing race sits on, which is slightly less of a problem.
I'd be up for a spot of scrapyard hunting - I'm guessing yours will need non ABS arms which makes life easier!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Indeed. The BXagon was a handy excuse for me to own a BX again and I am seeing it as long term thing. That's what I like about the BXagon - it emphatically is not one of these 'buy a crap car, thrash it to within an inch of its life then flog the destroyed remains on ebay' type rally.

Realistically though, I've no chance of getting the rear arm bearings sorted before we leave. I'll struggle enough to get the other stuff done the way things are at the moment (it's my only car, though I should get the 2CV back this weekend...)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Don't forget we have the Alaigne stop-over with the offer of all-day access to a workshop (and mechanic even!) as well as visit to a local scrappie... seems the bearings could be done then? Gives us something to look forward to :lol: :lol: :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Or while we're sat in the ferry queue? :lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k