clutch cable keeps breaking

BX Tech talk
nige
Confirmed BX'er

clutch cable keeps breaking

Post by nige »

Hello
Hope one of you guys can help me, my BX19 Diesel (non turbo), i have been through 3 clutch cables in a year, am thinking now that the clutch is too stiff to operate therefore straining the cable, i can't shift the lever on the gearbox by hand. I have nver changed the clutch on the car, and am realy hoping its not a new clutch plate, as taking the gearbox out looks a total nightmare! I can see a plastic lug under the box, i know some boxes there is a bush that can be lubed, is this plastic cover anything to do with that. Can you also tell me how easy the clutch should shift, should it be realy tough. Many thanks
Nige
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Clutch shouldn't be really heavy. I believe that the pedal box can break and cause issues. I once had one collapse completely so I wonder if yours has bent and is therefore putting strain on the cable?
nige
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige »

hi, thanks for the reply, the pedal box is a replacement as the throttle colapsed on mine, it seems pretty good, like i say the clutch lever on the gearbox is extremley heavy, so am kind of suspecting somthing to do with this
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

hi Nige and welcome

the later type of cable if not fitted corectly will fail prematurly,

it has a tinny white nylon collar which once you have locatted the outter cable in the eye on the bracket the right way round and fully home, you are ment to snap this tinny collar into the end of the plastic feral at the end of the outter cable, its easy honest (not),

i have in years gone by seen the cable fitted by recovery companys fitted badly and the inner cable shafeing through in a matter of days,

as they have not locatted the outter cable fully home,

also if the clutch pedel is very heavy this is a sign of the clutch on its last legs,

these clutch's are not to bad to fit,

were abouts are you

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
nige
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige »

hi, i think i have a problem resgistering here, i used to post a while back, I'm in Inverness, tell you what I'll do - will get some pictures of how i have it now, if you could tell me its correct that would be great
nige!
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige! »

hmm ok i have 2 user names.. doh!

The cable is in, the car runs, will try and get some photys of the installation - and get you guys opinion - many thanks
all i want for christmas is a dukla prague away kit

My Fleet:
1994 Citreon BX - reliable Eric
1970 MKIII OD Spitfire (1500) - MOT'd and driving daily
1972 VW Type2 Camper - all ready for holidays
1984 Kawaskai Z750ltd - still scares me