diesel - cutting out

BX Tech talk
minispecial

diesel - cutting out

Post by minispecial »

Can anyone help!
I got a 19rd which hasn't been used on the road for 2 years. I last started it 6 months ago when it started first time. Last week I tried to start it up again but this time it didn't start easilly. it ran for a few seconds but died. Cleaned out the fuel filter- it was a mess. had no replacement at the time so left out filter, primed it to fill casing and again the car would start - eventually but would not keep running even whilst priming the filter (casing).
Fed fuel direct into the pump feed pipe ( after the fuel filter body) and the engine ran fine but i couldn't keep up with refilling the feed pipe - the fuel seemed to be getting used at an excessive rate for engine speed - idling seemed like fuel going straight to return pipe outlet?
Noticed whilst priming the filter with outlet pipe disconnected that there was a lot of air with the fuel? was this because of the primiing action?
Any suggestions - - please.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Firstly, never ever ever run a diesel without a fuel filter, it's a quick way of killing the injector pump, particularly on something which has been standing for years and will have a load of crap in the tank.

Given that fuel does seem to be flowing, the issue here will be air entering the system, the main culprits follow:

1) Corroded diesel pipes under the car

2) Diesel heater behind engine (if fitted) has gone porous (in which case bypass it)

3) Primer diaphragm has ruptured

4) Perished or split rubber hose

The reason why you could not keep up with refilling the feed pipe is that the lift pump moves far more fuel than is used by the engine, and so it is constantly circulating back to the tank via the return pipe.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

All of the above, but my money would be on the fuel heater down behind the engine. The two pipes are of different sizes and not easy to join together, and you'll probably find at least one of them will pull off too easily.

Solution is to get some new fuel pipe long enough to reach from the chassis up to the fuel filter.