Difference between diesel clutches?

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Difference between diesel clutches?

Post by toddao »

It looks as though I'll be needing a clutch for my '85 TRD soon as it's starting to show the signs.
The parts service that I use here in Germany specifies two different clutches : one for up to 1989 and one for after that. Can anyone say what the difference is? Are they the same diameter and is it only the release mechanism that is different?
I ask this question as there's a few available on Ebay for considerably less than the €120 the parts service charges but they only specify 'BX diesel' and I don't want to make a mistake.

Thankyou
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I don't think there's any differance other than the TD clutch. :?
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

BE1 and BE3 boxes use different clutches IIRC, and obviously the TD uses the same one as a valver.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

there is also an early thrust bearing which hooks over the fork and has a metal backing, and the later one which has a plastic backing which clips onto the fork,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

citronut wrote:there is also an early thrust bearing which hooks over the fork and has a metal backing, and the later one which has a plastic backing which clips onto the fork,

regards malcolm
this is true, but isn't the clutch plate the same?
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thankyou for replies. My own investigations seem to reveal that the clutch unit itself is the same but just the bearing is different.
Is it possible to buy only the bearing then? This could save me a few €€€s as the clutches featuring the later bearings are available cheaper. And I suppose it wouldn't be advised to change the clutch and re-use the bearing? ( false economy!)
Todd

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

do you know the make of the clutch you have seen for sale cheap,

as i personaly will only fit OE, VALEO and posibly LUK,

you aslo have to be carefull its not a re/manufacturerd unit,

i fitted a clutch kit to a customers BX years ago, he supplied it and it was labled "INTERNATIONAL"

once fitted i have to adjust it right to the end of the adjustment to get a clutch

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes Malcolm, that's a good point. Perhaps it is better going for the Valeo unit ( I fitted one of these to the yellow RD last year) rather than one of dubious origin . Especially all those hours one has to put in.
It does seem that LUK aren't available anymore here new. Citroen themselves used to supply Valeo and LUK for the BX and now it's only Valeo they have available. My TRD has still got the original one fitted in '85 I think and though it's covered only 50,000 miles I suspect it was used for towing in its early days as the car has a tow bar and twin fans.
What's the maximum life expectancy of a clutch anyway?
Todd

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

toddao wrote: What's the maximum life expectancy of a clutch anyway?
All depends on the driver and what kind of motoring its used for, ive heard of clutches lasting over 200000 miles on company hacks that go up and down the Motorway all day and on the other end of the scale and old dear burnt out a clutch in a micra in 5000! :lol:

If the TRDs been used to lugging a caravan around most weekends 50k miles isnt bad at all.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I always reckon a clutch under normal use should last 150,000 miles, a theory backed up with the purchase of my ZX needing a new clutch, mileage at purchase read 149,788 and it was slipping :lol:

Back on topic, like has been said above, only go the valeo route, it may be more expensive but you get peace of mind. I once fitted a recon clutch to a diesel BX and 9 months later had to do it again :twisted:

NEVER re-use an old thrust bearing, but yes you could buy the bearing on it's own, last I bought was about £10.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

citroen used to recon on about 50K for a clutch, that was back in the days of the 1124 VISA's

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
citro-geoff
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Xantia VSX Estate-146K-1996 (The wifes car)
BX TZD Turbo-317K- Awaiting repair/donor car(broken subframe)
BX TZD Turbo-202K-project car ongoing
BX TZD Turbo-212k-One owner car rescued from being scrapped.
2CV Charleston-101K-One owner car awaiting restoration.
ZX Memphis-185K-Wifes daily driver.

Clutch type

Post by citro-geoff »

Todd,you will have the early clutch,not the late one.They changed around 1990/91,although I have changed even later ones with an early clutch.If the adjuster is on the front of the box with a small rod and screw,then it is early.The late type are adjusted on the end of the cable,ala TZD/16v.I wouldn't advise changing the bearing only,as the fingers on the pressure plate wear too,and it wouldn't last very long with a new one. Also,ONLY fit a Valeo clutch.From experience,all others are usually crap,and don't last long,usually about 1/2 the life of a genuine one.I have fitted LUK,QH and Borg and Beck,and they never lasted as long as a Valeo.Malclom Lockwood does a Valeo one for around £60,maybe even cheaper now.If you want his details,PM me.
Geoff
1995 ZX Memphis TD Saloon 176k
1997 XANTIA VSX ESTATE-112K(the Wife's!!)
1993 BX TZD Turbo Estate 202k waiting repairs for mot.(Just started to fix it!!)
1985 2CV 100k - waiting full restoration.