Trim tape advice please gents ...........

BX Tech talk
Linegeist
BXpert

Trim tape advice please gents ...........

Post by Linegeist »

As title. I need to reaffix the door waistline strake on the Athena, and it's been previously attached with a double-sided foam tape.

I also have a full width rear tailgate red-white reflector thingy that I'm thinking to fit using the same system, where the number plate currently sits. Is this an OE piece of kit - or just a naff aftermarket bling-thing? I've never seen one on a BX, but the guy I bought the Athena from was adamant that it was once a much sought-after factory accessory. What does the panel think .............?

The problem I have right now is that I haven't bought this tape stuff for years - and all think I know (from experience) is that buying anything other than 3M is a waste of money 'cos it peels right back off again after a few months.

So I made the mistake of going onto the 3M website ................... where a felt like a tyre fitter in a Nuclear Control Room. :shock: I don't recognise 90% of the products - let alone the language. :D

So - I'm lost. Can some kind soul point an old geezer in the right direction please? :oops: :oops:

Bob
Discoil
BXpert

Post by Discoil »

Have you tried asking a nearby body repair shop what they use!
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

'Nearby' is a relative term. :wink: I live in a tiny hamlet miles from anywhere much - except a Post Office and a Chapel - and the 'local' garage suggested small self-tapping screws :shock:

I was just wondering if one of the illustrious members would have one of those, "I use this stuff, it's the mutt's nut's" moments ............. but it looks like this particular mutt might have had the housebrick treatment ..... erm, innit? :cry:
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

3M 3mm double sided permabond tape is what you want. Available from most half decent suppliers such as Brown Brothers.

Halfrauds do sell tape, but it's utter crap.

If you dont envisage ever having to remove it again, then apply a level amount of sikaflex and glue it on, but be warned, sikafelx sticks better than anything EVER.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...