Solex choke fast idle adjustment ...........

BX Tech talk
Linegeist
BXpert

Solex choke fast idle adjustment ...........

Post by Linegeist »

Bit baffled here chaps, after owning diesels for a long while. I've squinted at the Haynes book of lies until I'm blue in the face - but nowhere can I find where to increase the cold-start tickover speed on this 1.6 Athena. And what's the strange little plastic box with the vacuum pipe going into it on the side of auto-choke housing .....????? I've taken it off to see if it'd improve running - but it made no difference .... (but advancing the timing by about 15 degrees made a huge difference - God knows how long it's been running so retarded).

Anybody care to enlighten a thicko (preferably with a pic or several) as where where I poke my screwdriver?

Please <grovel, grovel> :oops: :oops: :wink:
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Ignore the black arrow... the grey arrow points to the fast idle adjustment screw. You need to screw it in a little, because the more it pushes against the lever next to it (which is connected to the throttle linkage), the faster the idle will be at the cold start. Then as the coolant warms up, the various autochoke linkages both gradually open the choke flap, and gradually return the idle to "normal".

The black box on the side is a vacuum reservoir. The vacuum pipe sucks the air out of the chamber and this pulls a diaphragm, and the rod that passes through it, against a stop in the square plastic chamber that the vacuum pipe is plugged into. This is stage one of the autochoke process which holds open the choke flap a specified (and adjustable) amount - 6 mm IIRC - immediately the engine fires, to admit enough air to prevent the engine flooding due to an over-rich mixture.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Mark.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Also you may find this very useful - I did!!

http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/Carburation/

Mark.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Thanks Mark! I appreciate your trouble in posting that lot!

I'd kind've figured out that the screw you've arrowed kind've had a significant bearing on the fast idle - by trial and error. It's nice to have it confirmed. :)

That little lot is going into my BX info archive.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Duplicate-deleted! :roll: