Vacuum advance capsules - any advice please?

BX Tech talk
Linegeist
BXpert

Vacuum advance capsules - any advice please?

Post by Linegeist »

Assuming anybody's speaking to me ........ :( ......... can anyone tell me if it's possible to get reconditioned vacuum advance units for the Bosch distributors any longer? Mine's shot on this Athena and I can recall having the same problem with my Mk1 4 years ago. They're not made any more apparently.

Is there some kind of homebrew fix for example - what does everyone also do when they find their capsules passing fresh air? :?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

There used to Western, er, something or other in Bristol that kept rebuild kits for everything, but they went bust a few years back.

I imagine they must be available somewhere?

If not I guess trying to find a good used one on E-bay or the such could be the way ahead?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

The problems you describe are extremely common. The diaphragms fail very quickly, and the usual symptoms are pinking.

I have noticed that VW aircooled engines use an idential item on the Bosch distributor they use, however its advance / retard charecteristics may be different.

You might like to try one, as they can be obtained from GSF as an OEM part, and let us know how you get on with it.

Good luck.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Thanks gents - input appreciated! I'll give GSF a bell and see what they have. Failing that, I'm tempted to pull the old diaphragm unit apart and see if I can make a new rubber wossname.......... :shock:
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i have got two brand new old stock genuine complete distributers,

1) 96038083 to fit BX 1.580L CC carb PR 4158 > on

2) 5900.E9 " " " 1.905L CC carb PR 3852 > on
these both normaly sell for 200 quid or so

if your interested i am after 40 quid each pluss carridge

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Hi Malcolm,

I'm very interested! I need to find out exactly which setup I've got - whereupon I'll get right back to you.

Thanks!
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Hi Malcolm,

Having re-read your post above, it rather belatedly occurs to me that it's bleedin' obvious what setup I've got out of the 2 choices you've given me - I've got the 1.6. I think I'm having one of them male menopausal moments coupled with sealion old buggeritis. :cry:

So, the 96038083 to fit BX 1.580L CC carb PR 4158 ......... yes please. What's the usual method of carrying out transactions around here nowadays? Like who trusts who first, what's the postage going to be, 'n stuff like that ................? :wink:
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i spoze its you show me the colour of your dosh and i'll get the dizzy shipped out,

or it might be posible to send it via the FCF internatinol courriers (parts relay system), this way might just cost some bear or tea tokens, for the delivery that is,

if you would like to pm me with a contact No. i will call you tomorow,

unless you are registerd on SKYPE then you could send your SKYPE UID, and what time your likely to be online

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

PM on its way! :)