Fitting extra gauges...........

BX Tech talk
Linegeist
BXpert

Fitting extra gauges...........

Post by Linegeist »

I've got a pair of very nice 2" circular gauges - Water temp & Oil Pressure - I bought for my French Mk1 and which have lain dormant in the workshop since she sadly went to the scrapper 2 years ago.

Having now discovered that this Athena's been clocked, I'd feel a lot happier with them fitted .......... just so I can keep an eye on an engine I suddenly don't trust. The question is, where to put them?

I made a double binnacle for the Mk1 that sat atop the instrument cluster - and it looked rather pleasingly aircraft like - but I'm not sure it'll look quite the same on this car. Herself reckons I should let them into 2" holes cut into the dash panel just above and to the right of the glove-box and facing to the right. I can see her logic - mounting them there with a slight skew so I can see 'em would at least put them in one of the few uncluttered places available.

Any reason why I shouldn't do this or, even better, anyone got any better ideas? :)
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi, I had the same problem, when deciding to fit a couple of gauges.

To save lots of cutting drilling etc, I fitted them here, not ideal though.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... highlight=
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Phil 'Kermit' fitted a couple of gauges plus a 'fan engaged' light where the ashtray and coin holder sit, using a cut down radio flap.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Philip Chidlow wrote:Phil 'Kermit' fitted a couple of gauges plus a 'fan engaged' light where the ashtray and coin holder sit, using a cut down radio flap.
Now THAT'S lateral thinking at its best! As I don't smoke (and haven't got any money :lol: ) that'd be the perfect place..........

Thanks Philip - I'll go that route - it's a darned sight easier than my idea. Image
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Linegeist wrote:
Philip Chidlow wrote:Phil 'Kermit' fitted a couple of gauges plus a 'fan engaged' light where the ashtray and coin holder sit, using a cut down radio flap.
Now THAT'S lateral thinking at its best! As I don't smoke (and haven't got any money :lol: ) that'd be the perfect place..........

Thanks Philip - I'll go that route - it's a darned sight easier than my idea. Image
I did the same on my previous BX, and although it worked well, I have to say that it is not an ideal position as it is so far out of the normal drivers line of sight. Best (and easiest) solution is undoubtedly fitting the extra gauges from a GTI into your existing instrument panel.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

you could build up a pod to sit instead of the tray above the centre vents? Should be easy enough to fibreglass a small box shape to take the guages?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Thats what I had on the TD before I fitted a full set of GTi clocks.

Or rather, I cut the back of the tray out and mounted the guages in there, they fitted a treat.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Aaarrgghhh! Too many choices! Make them go awaaaayyyy!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bugger! Now I have a decision to make ............ :?