Warm starting problem

BX Tech talk
douglas851
Confirmed BX'er

Post by douglas851 »

Ran the car up from cold until the fan cut in.

New temp sensor has had no effect, both butterflys close and appear to be properly adjusted. Between about 70 and 95 C water temp the engine does not want to run below 2000 rpm and if allowed to drop to idle it will die. Removing ICV plug has no effect. Applying throttle makes it run rough and backfire and full throttle is required to get it back to 2000 rpm. If the revs are kept above 2000 then it is fine.

When it is hot, i.e. after the fan cuts in, it idles fine. Removing the ICV plug drops the idle and makes it uneven but it still runs.

Trying to use the diagnostic socket with a Draper meter gives no result.

Any more suggestions/
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Well, at this stage I'd be checking the AFM, the plug to the AFM and any connection in the loom to make sure it's all bright, shiny and tight.

After that, it could be an ECU problem, but they are extremley robust, although they don't like a lack of voltage, so I guess checking what the alternator output is could be worth checking...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

Douglas - try this link ...

http://www.clarks-garage.com/

select 'garagshop manual' on top left.

select ' TS-01, Engine (includes Oil Pressure problems)'

and you'll find a lot of useful information there on hot and cold starting problems - it does not cover your problem of 'warm' but may give you some clues.

It's from a website devoted to porsche 944 - but they run the early motronic systems too.

Steve