Leak on power steering pinion - dismount rack or not?

BX Tech talk
paulwitchard
BXpert

Leak on power steering pinion - dismount rack or not?

Post by paulwitchard »

My LHD 1.9 diesel (Millesme model) has developed a leak around the steering pinion. The question is this - is it easier to take the whole lot off, check it all over, replace any seals that need doing and then put it all back as a lump. I have read the explanation of how to get the pinion off and it seems as if it may be more difficult than taking the whole rack off. The work will have to be done outside, but there is no urgency once its started to get it fixed as we have other means of getting about.
Next question is are the seals available and if so from whom, I am coming to the Uk next week so collection would not be a problem. The attitude here seems to be that you buy a new rack but at €400 and upwards this seems a bit expensive! The local garage man was fascinated when a friend and I stripped down and rebuilt the pas rack on our Relay van.
Any thoughts / guidance would be appreciated.
Paul in Normandy - BX 1992 Millesme 1.9D, 1999 Peugeot 806 2.1 TD (the Bus) - gone bang on the M25, in a scrapyard somewhere in the SE of England, 1985 Visa Decouvrable, 1990 Land Rover 110TD (Great Uncle Bulgaria),1999 Isuzu Trooper, 1991 Hymer motorhome with Peugeot J5TD power, and a shedfull of mopeds!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Being a LHD car you're laughing really, much much easier to remove the pinion form the rack than remove the whole rack.

Even for RHD it's not that bad to remove the pinion TBH..

As for seal kits, I know they were available, but IIRC they no longer are, but I'm sure someone will know the difinitive answer..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...