water leak

BX Tech talk
JohnHA
Confirmed BX'er

water leak

Post by JohnHA »

At the rear of my BX GTI on either side there are plastic grills fitted, about waist height. I have noticed over the past weeks when i wash the car using the hosepipe that water seems to go through these grills into the wheel-brace and storage pockets in the boot area.

Are these grills sealed originally to prevent any water getting in and if so does anyone know the best way to remove them to replace the seal ? If that is possible !!

Any help gratefully received.
John.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Well, they aren't sealed as such, but the inner side of them comprises a plastic vent box that has a foam type seal.
You'll need to remove the C pillar trims to get to them, they are held with two torx screws.

They are actually a semi slever bit of design that allows fresh air to circulate in the car since air enters the front and vents to atmosphere through those vents.

If they are leaking then I guess removing them and either replacing the seal or maybe bonding them on with some silicone or the such may cure it.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

unless they are filling up and overflowing when you're washing the car??? Originally, there was a plastic mesh gauze, probably to stop water ingress. Once the water is in, it has no where to go except evaporate or overflow!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue