Rear suspension bearings part 3

BX Tech talk
Linegeist
BXpert

Rear suspension bearings part 3

Post by Linegeist »

Finally got the time to replace the creaky rear arm bearings today - stap me, what a mess! :shock: Both sides were in bits, running in a bath of rust-dust and gunge. I'm amazed the car wasn't cornering like a crab on stilts.

Nevertheless, all I needed to buy were 4 new bearings and 4 seals. The rest of the bits were reusable, including the little shim that fits between the outer bearing and the seal spacer.

I got the outer races out of their housing by MIG welding a bead around the bearing tracks, which then shrunk enough so they tapped out with a long screwdriver onto the weld bead. Total time? Well, the first one took me 4 hours while I figured it all out. The second took just 2. A nice straightforward job!! :lol:

Interestingly, XM bearings fit just fine. Here's the GSF invoice showing the part numbers.

Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Why did you use the XM bearings?...

If you had ordered the BX bearings, and had the " BX Club card" -- then 10% discount is valid !!!.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Web orders don't attract the 10% discount, its only if you go to your local branch :cry:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Exactement! And I live miles from anywhere an' all! :cry:

As for the XM bearings - there was so much conflicting info about kits, types and models that I went by bearing dimensions. The XM's were available so I ordered 'em.

Here next day = Sorted! The only fly in the ointment is that they're stamped "Made in India" so I might be doing them again a couple of years ............. :roll:

sorry if this caused any offence. Image :wink:
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

in my 06 GSF catalouge the BX and XM bearings are one and the same part No,there is two part No,'s though for the kits N42358 is listed as BX/C15 and Xantia saloon, then N42361 listed as XM repair kit,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

MULLEY wrote:Web orders don't attract the 10% discount, its only if you go to your local branch :cry:
Not strictly true, as if you phone up you can still get the 10% discount. But you don’t get the free postage that you get with web orders – so the last couple of times I’ve found that if you request the discount in the text box on the website order form, you get it!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Linegeist wrote:Exactement! And I live miles from anywhere an' all! :cry:

As for the XM bearings - there was so much conflicting info about kits, types and models that I went by bearing dimensions. The XM's were available so I ordered 'em.

Here next day = Sorted! The only fly in the ointment is that they're stamped "Made in India" so I might be doing them again a couple of years ............. :roll:

sorry if this caused any offence. Image :wink:

No offence, not for me anyway. :P If you know the bearing sizes or even better the codes, they may be available from online bearing shops like http://www.simplybearings.co.uk (there are others) but you can see the manufacturer of the bearing and hedge your bets. Not necessarily cheaper but you know you're getting a good bearing. The kits are SKF and so may be worth the extra outlay. After really poor experiences with cheap wheel bearings I shall always go for the known name.
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Linegeist wrote:they're stamped "Made in India" so I might be doing them again a couple of months............. :roll:
Edited for accuracy.
I've come across some truly shocking example of Indian quality relating to car parts - in my old job we were going through the process of outsourcing more and more manufacturing to India and China (against all technical recommendations). Some of the guys who went over to oversee the move told me horror stories of heat treatment (of ball joints) carried out by kids taking the parts from glowing coals and putting them in buckets of water. But outside the factories there was a steady stream of workers wanting to work there - in some instances it was a case of filling 'dead man's shoes'

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Mat, that's not the story i was told.

My local branch did occasionaly deliver to me free of charge if they were going my way, but they seemed to have stopped that. I rang them & they said they'd need to see proof of my membership & that i couldnt geht the disount over the phone. Ok, i could order the stuff over the phone & collect from the branch & then get my discount, but that would be the only way. Didnt know about the text box on the website, damn :lol:

Do you give them your membership number as well?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Looks as though there is a difference depending on who you speak to...I haven't dealt with a local branch (nearest about 80 miles away although I'm a good deal closer than Bob!) for a few years, just the main site where the mail order deliveries come from. With the web based orders you get free delivery, but not if you phone up.
All I did was explain the membership/discount situation in the text box, give them my membership number and ask them to call me if there were any problems.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

mat_fenwick wrote:
Linegeist wrote:they're stamped "Made in India" so I might be doing them again a couple of months............. :roll:
Edited for accuracy.
I've come across some truly shocking example of Indian quality relating to car parts - in my old job we were going through the process of outsourcing more and more manufacturing to India and China (against all technical recommendations). Some of the guys who went over to oversee the move told me horror stories of heat treatment (of ball joints) carried out by kids taking the parts from glowing coals and putting them in buckets of water. But outside the factories there was a steady stream of workers wanting to work there - in some instances it was a case of filling 'dead man's shoes'
The Indian-made cylinder heads and blocks that many CX diesel turbo2's suffered were not such a quality item either...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

There has always been a massive difference between 'store rules' from one GSF branch to the next, and variations dependant on who you speak to. They don't strive to achieve any recognised quality standard so its not a big surprise, and when you get stores like Liverpool who don't want to sell French parts (originally a VW only supplier) then consistent policy goes out of the window.

Personally i avoid GSF where i can, occasionally there prices are good, and they supply some bits others dont. But for rear arm bearings, i buy the bearings them selves from Borders and the nylock nut from Citroen.