valver stalls after hard breaking

BX Tech talk
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

valver stalls after hard breaking

Post by akarso »

the title of the post pretty much sums up all there is to say. I was able to induce this behavior twice today (didn't try more times). After a few tries then I was able to start the engine again - with reluctance. Additionally sometimes there is erratic idle accompanied by yellow "injection diagnostic light", as if engine worked only on three cylinders (I am afraid these may be two separate issues).

What may be the reason of such behavior? Fuel pump, some sensor, injector?
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

You could try to avoid braking. :D

Could be ?? loose connection/s on the ECU electrics and equipment, somewhere. If the K-light flickers and then stays off, have a look at the battery connections and cable connector block adjacent to the battery.
Fuel pump connections?
Do you loose all electrical power?

First points I would look at would be the multi plugs on the AFM, ignition module, coil, and relays by the top engine mount. Clean both sets of contacts on each unit and gently close up the female pins.
When it stalls next time, try removing and replacing one of the above connectors in turn, cranking in between, to possibly to identify the faulty unit.

Tie the cable clusters close to each unit to stop them flapping around to see if there’s any improvement.
I seem to remember, Kitch had a similar problem with roundabouts, turned out to be contacts on the AFM?

Just seen the 16v is auto?? I’m not to familiar with BX autos. Not sure if this would tie-in with your problem.

Regards
akarso
Confirmed BX'er

Post by akarso »

prm wrote:You could try to avoid braking. :D
Great Idea 8)
prm wrote:Do you loose all electrical power?
No. But I too suspect some faulty electrics. What else could react like this in response to massive deceleration?
prm wrote:Just seen the 16v is auto??
not for long, I think ;]
1993 BX GTi 16V Auto
1993 subaru legacy turbo
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Could it just be a weak hydraulic pump stalling the camshaft? I bet the EMU would be rather upset if that happened. I guess it could also be the autobox locking up as the Mi16 was not designed for an autobox, so it won't be standard.