Starter circuit?

BX Tech talk
rob-81
BXpert

Starter circuit?

Post by rob-81 »

Hi. I have an annoying problem on my TZD turbo. I got the car a week ago from a member of this forum. I bought it knowing that ocassionally it would not turn over on the key and sometimes needed a couple of tries. The old owner had investigated this and has tested the starter solenoid (and found no fault) and stated that he beloved the ignition switch was a bit sticky.

Since I've had the car, it has needed a couple of goes on a few ocassions to start and today, refused to start at all. I've had a spare ingition switch in the boot and assuming that was the fault, swapped them over. Even with the new switch, it still refused to start. No other obvious wiring fault was apparent but I was limited by having no tools with me and being in my work clothes (didn't want to get too dirty). I was all set to call the recovery people and thought I would just reinstate the wiring to the old switch before they calling them (didn't really want the car wired up to second ignition switch when they arrived - it may look a bit dodgy!). Having reinstated the wiring to the old switch, I tried it again a couple of times and the bloody thing started! I bought it in the full knowledge of a current starting fault and wigh the understanding that a 180k, 18 year old BX will have some issues! Any ideas where to look for a fault? The old owner believes the starter solenoid is not at fault, it seems the switch is ok too. Anything else spring to mind?

Finally, I want to make clear that this post is no way a negative reflection on the previous owner of the car. He's top bloke and I'm delighted with the car. Also, apologies for any spelling/grammer mistakes. I've typed this on my phone and can't easliy review what I've written.

Thanks, Rob
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

"I bought it in the full knowledge of a current starting fault and wigh the understanding that a 180k, 18 year old BX will have some issues!"

spot the mistake! This sentence should be in the final paragraph! Bloody iPhone!!
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Does it just make a single click when you try to start?

Our last BX auto did this from the day we had it until the day before it departed. I'd changed the ignition switch and the starter motor, but no difference.

Then the day before it went, I was cleaning out the engine compartment and fitting a new air filter when I noticed a relay sat under the air filter housing. It looked a bit mouldy so I fitted a replacement, hey presto problem cured! :D
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

next time it fails to start try just wigleing the solanoid terminal, thats the small spade on the solanoid its self,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

Thanks Malcolm. Hopefully next time will be in a less inconvenient spot!!l
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

I had a Rover P6 with this problem, and it defied all attempts to figure it out.

Eventually, I wired in a simple push switch direct to the small terminal on the starter solenoid, and installed it on the dashboard. This simply bypassed the problem in its entirety. It also gave the car a rather period feel when starting - sort've just one step removed from a bent handle at the front. :wink:
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

I came across that possible solution when searching the forums for answers. I will keep it in mind, nothing more annoying or frustrating that in intermittant starting fault!
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Next time it happens try using a screwdriver (or house key if you're stuck) to short power across from the big terminal on the starter motor to the small lucar connection. If it doesn't start with this, the problem must be either the starter or the battery leads/earth connection, whereas if this is a foolproof means of starting the problem is obviously elsewhere.

Do make sure it's out of gear first though...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

jonathan_dyane wrote:Next time it happens try using a screwdriver (or house key if you're stuck) to short power across from the big terminal on the starter motor to the small lucar connection. If it doesn't start with this, the problem must be either the starter or the battery leads/earth connection, whereas if this is a foolproof means of starting the problem is obviously elsewhere.

Do make sure it's out of gear first though...
Heh, heh, heh! :lol: I saw a mechanic do this once when I was an apprentice, on a Cresta that had been towed in from a customer's home as a non-starter.

The starter had shorted out internally and, when he bunged a small screwdriver across said terminals, his screwdriver vapourised in a shower of sparks and hideous oaths. ImageImageImage
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

Fantastic tip. Thanks johnathan!
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I agree that the connection to the solonid is worth wiggling/replacing.

Also worth considering fitting a relay, so the key switch powers the relay, and the relay connects the solonoid directly to the battery.

The key switches wear, and there is a significant length of wire from the battery, to the switch and back to the solonoid.

The voltage on the terminal is then less than it should be.

This works well on my BX.

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Hi Rob,
It might be worth reading thro' these old threads which Mike (above), others and I have already covered Re:- starting failures, checks and fixes including the link to the relay mod as Mike has mentioned !
Threads:- #ONE, #TWO and there was a 'Sticky' which has now moved to the TECHNICAL FAQ , I hope they may be of help :D
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

one test you can do to aliminate the circuite between the ignition switch and the solonoid, is get a length of wire with a femail lucar terminal on one end, pull the conector off of the solonoid conect the length of wire ion its place and making sure its out of gear touch the other end of the wire to the posative terminal on the battery,

if she starts it aint the starter or solonoid,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

citronut wrote:one test you can do to aliminate the circuite between the ignition switch and the solonoid, is get a length of wire with a femail lucar terminal on one end, pull the conector off of the solonoid conect the length of wire ion its place and making sure its out of gear touch the other end of the wire to the posative terminal on the battery,

if she starts it aint the starter or solonoid,

regards malcolm
This in essence achieves the same as my suggestion above, however despite it appearing more sensible personally I would not advocate this as it will cause a spark when you touch the wire to the battery terminal. Creating sparks next to lead-acid batteries is a bad idea because in certain conditions (such as if the alternator was overcharging causing the battery to vent hydrogen gas) an explosion may result. Unlikely, but quite possible.

If you wish to use a wire then, I would suggest attaching it to the +ve battery terminal then flashing it to the lucar connection on the starter so as to have the spark away from the battery. This however carries the attendant risk of accidentally earthing the wire en-route to the starter causing sparkage, so I do think the screwdriver method is of merit, or, if you want to be really flash you could rig up a temporary additional wire betwixt starter and battery complete with under-bonnet push button for when she won't go. As ever however, there is the danger if you make a bodge really good that it becomes a permanent feature...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Johnathan wrote
"Creating sparks next to lead-acid batteries is a bad idea because in certain conditions (such as if the alternator was overcharging causing the battery to vent hydrogen gas) an explosion may result. "

i spose there is that danger jonathan,

so as you sudgest with conect to the battery first, then if you had an insulated femail lucar terminal on the other end, this should eliminate the risk of flashing the wire on route to the solanoid terminal,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have