Starter circuit?

BX Tech talk
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

Thanks everyone for your advice. There's lots of great suggestions for me to try. I'm going to pop a length of wire with a female connector on it in the glove box. Would a length of wire with a switch inline negate the risk of sparks at either end? Hopefully when I get some time, I'll do the relay mod for a more permanant fix.

Thanks again, Rob.
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

Just been out to practice the screwdriver technique. Scared the shit out of me but worked. Thanks again. At least I can use the car for the time being without worrying about it not starting.
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

rob-81 wrote:Just been out to practice the screwdriver technique. Scared the shit out of me but worked. Thanks again. At least I can use the car for the time being without worrying about it not starting.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad it worked for you! Perhaps a semi-permanent wire would be useful, however I would recommend the use of a push button rather than a on/off switch.

Alternatively, you could use the method that I employed with my old 306 after the smoke escaped from a fair portion of the loom, where I took a length of domestic flex from a broken hoover, and connected the brown wire to battery +ve and the blue to the small connector on the starter. I then led the flex out from the corner of the bonnet/wing area and into the car by the door hinge where it lay in the drivers footwell ready for me to touch the wires together to operate the starter.

Very sheddy, but effective.

If you do use it make sure the wires cannot touch however on driving, or bad things may happen. I had one wire tied to part of the lower dashboard allowing the other to hang to guard against such badness...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

Cheers johnathan. I was thinking of splicing a female connector to the wiring at each end (starter and battery) and keeping a lead with a push button switch on it in the car.
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

you should not need a relay as it is the solanoid which is switched by the ignition switch, which is low tension,

i belive what causes the ignition switch to burn out, is switching it on and off whilst items that draw high current are switched on (heater fan and head lights,
regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Yes, you are spot on Malcolm, very low current being switched.

In the very distant past, I have used just a domestic bell push hidden under the carpet to activate the starter.

Cheap anti theft device..