electric windows

BX Tech talk
bill o
Confirmed BX'er

electric windows

Post by bill o »

can anyone tell me what stops the motor when the window has reached the closed position as my drivers one just keeps runnig untill i take my finger off the switch. i have fitted another motor but nothing has changed. thanks bill o
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

I'm not sure what your problem is Bill? There are two types of electric sindow system on the BX, manual and semi automatic.

With a manual electric you press the button and the window goes up, and will keep trying to go up until you remove your finger. There is no cut out, if your finger is on the button then the motor is powered and will try to rotate.

With the semi automatic there is a control module and two extra buttons (marked with little dots). These buttons once pressed will wind the window to maximum travel (fully open or fully closed). The relay unit assesses maximum position by stall failure (window stops, motor trys to wind, draws excess current and the control unit detects that the window has stalled and cuts power).

With both these systems if you keep your finger on the button the motor will be powered and continue to try and turn. This is prefectly normal, so i'm at a loss as to what your question/problem actually is.
bill o
Confirmed BX'er

electric windows

Post by bill o »

thanks vanny ,following you explanation i think the problem may me worn rack at the closed position causing the motor to jump the teeth.i say this because i had the manual system but have just fitted the auto close system from my scrap tzd and the problem is the same on both systems.thanks for the answer when i have time i will investigate further.its not the motor as i swapped them over.
prm
BXpert

Post by prm »

If you remove the door trim, I think?? drivers door, you should find a black rectangular main controller box, possibly towards the front. Check the electrical connections. The window winding motors work on a amperage/thermo trip cut-out, and should stop running due to the mechanical and electrical resistance when fully closed.

Don’t try putting your head or hand between the window and door frame to test, they bloody hurt on a cold day. Their sensitivity is not up to modern safety standards.

With your motor continuing to run. Most probably fails to reach an electrical trip current resistance, or the window mechanism tilting and slightly out of adjustment with the motor gear wheel, or, the gearing/cogs are worn.

If I remember?? Where the motor and winding gear are located, you should find two 10mm?? headed bolts on the outside, slightly slacken theses. Approx in line, and towards the rear, their should be securing bolt with a vertical slot on the inner door skin, mainly there to adjust the trim of the window in the door frame while closing, Try resting, to see if there’s any improvement.

Regards