LHM resistant rubber hoses(BX 4x4)

BX Tech talk
Grgabx

LHM resistant rubber hoses(BX 4x4)

Post by Grgabx »

hello,

does anybody know what kind of rubber hoses can I buy that are resistant to LHM? Do they have some industrial standard code? I will probably need return hoses from regulator to LHM reservoir. They are linking a little bit and cannot be ordered anymore. Code on microfilm is 96030258(probably). Some of the hoses have T splitting so I've been thinking to take T metal profile to join rubber hoses that are around 0.5 cm in diameter.

Thanks

p.s. I am from Zagreb, Croatia, driving BX 19 4x4 (carburetor) 1989. in slow process of restoration.
Drive with style
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

All I can say is that the type of rubber used on Citroen Hydraulic parts is called 'Desmopan' or 'Urepan' rubber.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

I've used ordinary rubber fuel hose for return lines with no problems. also owned a couple that had been running fuel hose as return lines for some time.
Grgabx

Post by Grgabx »

well...I've heard that fuel rubber pipes are not good and that an expert mechanic in Citroen gargage told me...hm.
Drive with style
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

we'll see. I've got an ID19 completely piped in fuel line for return lines that aren't steel ones.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

I've had fuel-line rubber returns on my TZD for 5 years now with no problem at all. If the stuff's resistant to modern ethanol-'enhanced' petrol, then I suggest LHM's not going to give it conniptions any time soon.
Grgabx

Post by Grgabx »

thnx people. I'll ask for thes gasolina pipes and try to find plastic or metal T profile connection pipes.
Drive with style
the_baron
Confirmed BX'er

Post by the_baron »

I'd be very careful using fuel line where oil is involved.

Had a issue on the wartburg where it was drawing neat 2 stroke oil to the carb and the new fuel line that I had fitted promptly melted and collapsed.

Also had to remove a repair from the St Tropez from the front height corrector main return which had been repaired with fuel line which wasn't compatable with oil and had split and disintegrated.

If Citroen could have used fuel line for the return pipes then they would, the fact that they utilized a specific material then that must tell you something.
Current Fleet
1990 BX 14 TE St Tropez
1986 Wartburg 353S Tourist
1973 Ami 8 Club Centrafuge
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Okay - I'm not convinced, but how about chucking a short piece of the pipe you intend using into a container of LHM for week or so to see if there's any degredation?
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

LHM hose is nothing special, it is simply oil resistant hose, most fuel hose these days are oil resistant. Silicon hose should do the trick dependant on ratings.

If your really unsure simply put a piece of pipe in a jar filled with LHM. It might take some time to degrade but hopefully you'll know before it fails on the car!
CaM
BXpert

Post by CaM »

yeah. current spec'd fuel hose should be fine. stuff from teh 70s, maybe not, but the 'advances in fuel technology' requires some pretty hardy hose to stay together, which will be fine on lhm.
if you were really worried you could use ATF/Oil specific stuff for things like auto transmission coolers instead, however i expect this would be about 4 times the price of standard old carby fuel hose.
most of the stuff i pulled from my d-super which i dismanlted to rebuild the suspension in my ID19 had gone so soft that you could cut it with your thumb nail. this was 'citroen specific' stuff. also it wasn't reinforced with anything either. the fuel line I use has a fibre reinforcing layer which gives me much more piece of mind than the original muck.
the_baron
Confirmed BX'er

Post by the_baron »

I've replaced all the fuel line on my ami 8 with an armacune set, so Cupronickel and modern braided pipe on the flexi sections.

Bring back proper leaded petrol I say.
Current Fleet
1990 BX 14 TE St Tropez
1986 Wartburg 353S Tourist
1973 Ami 8 Club Centrafuge