Occasionally heavy steering

BX Tech talk
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

One test that can be done easily on the pump:

Remove the belt and try to turn the pulley over by hand. You should feel the distinct resistance of each of the pistons in turn. 5 of them (certainly for the 16/19 petrol, I assume the Diesels are the same?), evenly spaced over one revolution (ie one every 72deg)

If you can feel less than 5 pistons in a revolution, and there's a very obvious "gap" between two, then you've got a siezed piston, which will seriously affect the flow output of the pump, but won't affect the pressure output.

I've known a pump to have 2 siezed and 3 working pistons before. Still raised the car just fine, but the PAS was awful. 1/4 turn of the steering and you'd run out of assistance.

The best s/h pumps to get hold of are those that have come from a non-PAS car, as they have done very little work in comparison. Rare as hen's teeth though...
this might be a signature
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks David. That gives me something to work with. I'm off to a garage for the flush tomorrow, but I'll also check the pump and, as I've got a brand new spare pump belt, I might as well change that at the same time.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

After some research, I've answered my own question ..... how to replace a pump for less than the £200 they're asking on Ebay.

Pleiades - 01487 831239. Phil or Martin. (Donlt try and email - it doesnlt work)

Cost £137 + VAT (Plus an Acc sphere for warranty puposes)

I've just ordered one - it'll arrive Tuesday.

http://www.agua.nu/ds-files/tony-jackso ... eiades.pdf
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

They're in your neck of the woods as well Ian, I did notice on their website that they can test your FDV, although that will probably not help with Scotland!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Yup - they're practically on my doorstep. Really must make a visit at some point! I've got the flush fluid - not cheap is it? However, cheaper than replacing a major part of the system!

I'm heading to Bourne Citroen Centre to lob it in and check the pump tomorrow. If there's no joy after that, I'll visit the Playdays people.

Annoying that you have to replace the acc sphere if fitting a new pump. I've only just replaced it! (Well, actually, that was some 6000 miles ago now...)
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Is the accy sphere replaced because if they get low on pressure that puts a lot more strain on the pump?

With anyluck, they hydraflush will do its magic or at least improve things so that you can delay having to get a replacement pump, after checking out David's method of rotating it first.

Will piladeaeasy be able to diagnose the problem before you have to go to the expense of replacing parts which may not neceserrily be the problem?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

No idea, but I will try and visit them at some point - once I've got over the panic of trying to get at least one of my Citroens in a fit state to go travelling around Scotland (no, really!) on Thursday.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

It is, if the accumulator sphere is flat the pump is in operation for far longer than intended, which does tend to knacker it. The same happens if you have a fast 'tick' time due to internal leakage in the system.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Interim report. Flush treatment now in, and we cleaned all the filters out while we were at it, and remove a nice quantity of sludge from the bottom of the reservoir.

Seemed better behaved on the way back home (a 30 mile drive) but we've had loads of snow again, so it's hard to be sure. New battery fitted as well as she needed the booster box to get going this morning...
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Dollywobbler wrote:Interim report. Flush treatment now in, and we cleaned all the filters out while we were at it, and remove a nice quantity of sludge from the bottom of the reservoir.

Seemed better behaved on the way back home (a 30 mile drive) but we've had loads of snow again, so it's hard to be sure. New battery fitted as well as she needed the booster box to get going this morning...
I hope that's been enough to cure it!

tbh, I wouldn't recommend the company mentioned - I have personally had nothing but trouble with their reconditioned products. The DIRAVI steering unit I fitted was ALMOST trouble free (apart from all the silver paint flaking off during installation :?

I agree with David's approach - I had a BX pump that was definitely down on a piston or two but the symptom was that the steering was 'pulsey' and the suspension a bit slow. Slapped in a new pump and it was TRANSFORMED! I have a spare HP pump if you need too.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Graeme. Another pump is probably an idea. I'll bring some cash to Scotland with me...
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Do bear in mind that diesel and petrol hydraulic pumps are different...

I must say that I found some years ago that a car with a tired hydraulic pump had somewhat improved steering running on hydraflush, but as soon as I returned to LHM I found things back to square one. I put this down to the hydraflush being a different viscosity (somewhat lighter) and so easier for the pump to deal with. Old hydraulic pumps are always at their worst when it is cold, due to the LHM like all oils becoming 'thicker' in the cold, but usually improve somewhat if the car is driven some miles to the point at which the LHM becomes nice and warm...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

jonathan_dyane wrote:usually improve somewhat if the car is driven some miles to the point at which the LHM becomes nice and warm...
Such as (say) driving to Scotland? Glad it seems to be improved Ian, it's a scaryfeeling when you're heaving on the wheel trying to turn without assistance, and it suddenly comes back mid corner!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

Oh woe is me,looks like my pump has just gone too :cry: Heavy steering,no brakes and a saggy arse(the car not me :wink: :D )Ken,do you happen to know if the car in Pat's yard has one? BX ownership is,for the first time in 14 years,beginning to piss me off.If owt else goes wrong if I manage to get the pump sorted,it's going to the big car park in the sky :twisted:
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

jonathan_dyane wrote: I must say that I found some years ago that a car with a tired hydraulic pump had somewhat improved steering running on hydraflush... I put this down to the hydraflush being a different viscosity (somewhat lighter) and so easier for the pump to deal with.
Ultimately, I think you're right Jonathan. As an interim solution, this is working well, but I think I'll opt to change the pump. This gets me out of a hole at the moment though, which is nice. If I use the BX that is. Still a silly plan in mind to use the 2CV - it'd be fine but for fumes in the heating system.