Occasionally heavy steering

BX Tech talk
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

BX596 wrote:Oh woe is me,looks like my pump has just gone too :cry: Heavy steering,no brakes and a saggy arse(the car not me :wink: :D )Ken,do you happen to know if the car in Pat's yard has one? BX ownership is,for the first time in 14 years,beginning to piss me off.If owt else goes wrong if I manage to get the pump sorted,it's going to the big car park in the sky :twisted:
I don't think it has, no. :(

I may one but of unknown quality, don't know whether Shaune has one or not.
Are you sure it's the pump and not the belt or low fluid?
They think it's all over, it is now!
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Dollywobbler wrote:
jonathan_dyane wrote: I must say that I found some years ago that a car with a tired hydraulic pump had somewhat improved steering running on hydraflush... I put this down to the hydraflush being a different viscosity (somewhat lighter) and so easier for the pump to deal with.
Ultimately, I think you're right Jonathan. As an interim solution, this is working well, but I think I'll opt to change the pump. This gets me out of a hole at the moment though, which is nice. If I use the BX that is. Still a silly plan in mind to use the 2CV - it'd be fine but for fumes in the heating system.
It's not a bad job to whip off the offending head from the 2cv and lap in the face with an old barrel you have smashed the fins off you know.

As an interim solution, you can of course rig the heater cables to block off the offending cylinder, but of course that gives something of a reduction in heating, and assumes only one head is blowing...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

ken newbold wrote:
BX596 wrote:Oh woe is me,looks like my pump has just gone too :cry: Heavy steering,no brakes and a saggy arse(the car not me :wink: :D )Ken,do you happen to know if the car in Pat's yard has one? BX ownership is,for the first time in 14 years,beginning to piss me off.If owt else goes wrong if I manage to get the pump sorted,it's going to the big car park in the sky :twisted:
I don't think it has, no. :(

I may one but of unknown quality, don't know whether Shaune has one or not.
Are you sure it's the pump and not the belt or low fluid?
No idea mate.I just dumped it in disgust and borrowed my dad's car.I'll have a look in the morning
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

jonathan_dyane wrote:
It's not a bad job to whip off the offending head from the 2cv and lap in the face with an old barrel you have smashed the fins off you know.

As an interim solution, you can of course rig the heater cables to block off the offending cylinder, but of course that gives something of a reduction in heating, and assumes only one head is blowing...
It's not head - multiple exhaust leaks. I've just made things worse. Gah!
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

Well,it just goes to show that I shouldn't throw my dolly out of the pram :oops: :oops: :oops: The pump belt is shredded.Waiting for a new one as I type
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Get thee a spare and keep it in the boot mate!
I do, oddly, never needed it. But you can bet your last penny if I went out without a spare it'd shit itself out the back of the car!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

BX is back in my possession after another service (these 6k intervals come around too quickly!) and a return to LHM. No steering issues on the way home to report. We'll see how it goes. Maybe the flush and filter clearouts will do the trick.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

if you end up ging the Pleiades route they do have a workshop, and do serviceing and repaires as well as overhall citroen hydraulic components,

and i belive Martin likes chochy bickies

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

Just to update you/pick your brains,The steering still gets heavy very occasionally,but I've now a problem with the brakes.They take 1to 2 seconds to work,after pressing the pedal,but when they do come on,they're strong and feel normal,ie not spongy.The pump belt is VERY tight and had no problems hydraulically,before my other woes.Ideas on a postcard please :?
sdelasal
BXpert

Post by sdelasal »

How about :- "Brake 1-2 seconds before you need to"! Not helpful, I know.
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

sdelasal wrote:How about :- "Brake 1-2 seconds before you need to"! Not helpful, I know.
Doing that,no problems.Problem is when some muppet steps out in front of me without giving me 1 - 2 seconds notice.I hear that blood is awfully difficult to get off paintwork :wink:
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

This sounds like your brakes need bled.

If no work has been done on any of the system and the air in brakes is a mystery then the only ways air can get in is if your HP pump is sucking in air from a split on the rubber suction line or a sphere is leaking and letting the gas mix with the LHM.

If the HP pump is drawing air occasionally then that would also explain the occasional heavy steering.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

Thanks Greame,this confirms what I suspected.I had the pump feed pipe off whilst changing the alternatorIt was quite loose anyway.Do I follow the book of lies when bleeding the brakes?
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

I can't recall what the Haynes book says for bleeding the brakes but I think it's correct (just a gut feeling there btw)

Just be careful with the caliper bleed nipple as a seized one can break! If it's not been touched in a long time I'd soak it in WD-40 or somesuch and give it a few heavy taps with a small hammer first - also best to use a single hex socket to reduce the incidence of the nipple rounding off where stuck.

You'll need an assistant to hold the brakes at full press - or a big heavy thing to rest on the pedal while each bleed nipple is opened and bled of air in turn (can take quite a lot of LHM to get all the air out).

Do the front brakes first, wheels off, engine just off, brake held and each caliper bled as per the book of lies. If it's gonna take a lot of bleeding then keep the engine running for the fronts in case the accumulator runs out.

Rear brakes require the suspension to be set to maximum height, Engine doesn't need to be on, supported on stands and wheels off then proceed as for the front brakes - full pedal pressure held and not released until after bleed nipples retightened (or it will draw air back in)

Otherwise, no fuss.
I always take the opportunity whenever the wheels are coming off to spray some WD-40 behind the brake pads so as to clean and free up the pistons. The attached straw is ideal for this so that no ne of the stuff gets on the brake pads and disks themselves!

Best of luck
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

Guess what?The bleed nipple has sheared :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Anybody got a pair of rear calipers with the bleed nipples loose?My time with this pile of shite is rapidly coming to an end,Everything that goes wrong with a BX has been sorted over the last couple of years and yet still more problems every bloody week.Sorry about the rant,Pissed off of Barnsley :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: