Oil for a BX14

BX Tech talk
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Oil for a BX14

Post by Tim Leech »

Need to change the oil and filter on the 14RE, as the sump and gearbox use the same supply is there anything special that needs to be done?. I will use multigrade not synthetc as I imagine thats too thin for the old girl. Shes done 108k but runs fine asides the usual idler gear clatter when shifting cogs.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Synthetic or mineral makes no difference to the thickness Tim, mineral is just cheaper and less efficient. The thinner oils get, the more likely they are to be semi or fully synthetic as they need the extra durability synthetic gives as the oil itself is like piss water!
10w40 semi-synthetic is what I'd use. Doesn't matter which brand.

edit: Just noticed it's a suitcase....I'd check if it's supposed to be 15w40 in that. But never seen an '88 suitcase lump before. TU came out in '87.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Don't know if you need a special oil considering the oil's mixing it with the gears too - but an A seiries needs nothing exotic! I would've thought a decent semi synthetic - even magnatec? or the 'High Mileage' Castrol? - would be OK...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

This is a January '88 so probably one they had laying around, it has the earlier grey patterned interior instead of the 88 on grey/red herrigbone cloth so must have been an old stock car. My dads 19RD was a Aug 87 and has the sme interior

Theres no papers with the car so will see what haynes recommend.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Yep 15W/40 it states, but apparently the TU engine wasnt fitted until Aug 88?
grecian
Confirmed BX'er

BX 14 oils

Post by grecian »

I had a Renault 14 for some years which had the same mini type set up with the gear box in the sump - same engine and box I guess; I just used a good quality engine oil - Duckhams I think, and changed it every 3,000 miles. Even at this frequency the oil came out much thinner than it went in. It appeared to me that the gearbox really did chop the oil up.
I used the clean but used oil in a Morris 1800 I had for a few months; a great car but with a dipsomaniac thirst for oil. So much went in I didn't do an oil change before it died. It did good service up and down the M4/M5 from Chippenham to Nailsworth, and carried 6 in comfort when required.
previous- GS, Visa, 19DTR, 4x4, now ZX 1.9D and 1985 BMW M5