Heater Blower HELP!

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

blower constantly running

Post by B-Hive »

I have a 16TRS and its blower is always on (albeit lowest speed).. i know this cos it slowly squeaks. It's kinda annoying but i've learnt to live with it. Next step is to put a bypass switch in somewhere...without mutating the facia it will be a a multiple option switch that allows manual control of radiator fans and interior fans as well as interior lights. Thinking i'll remove the ashtray and utilise a Mk2 electric mirror switch module that can be retro unfitted..

Just a thought
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

That's interesting, Vanny. I suppose the PMOS must be an air pressure sensing device on the basis that air entering at 70 mph on a hot day would still be warmer than air entering at 0 mph on a cold day, and a temperature sensing device would reduce the fan speed more in the case of the latter than the former. So, as I understand it, to counteract the 'turbo' effect of high-speed, the voltage supply to the fan is reduced.
This might explain why my heater fan was wavering at low speeds - perhaps because of corrosion the PMOS was sensing higher air pressure than actually existed.
On the basis that models like the 16 TRS had no such device anyway, members having trouble with it could simply bypass it and have the fan operating in the low pressure setting all the time?
When I can be sure I have permanently fixed it, I'll get hold of a stubby ratchet screwdriver and put the bracket back!

2BXORNOT2BX - I've seen discussions on here about BX's having the blower always on. I thought it was the Australian models?. Anyway the power supply cable to the heater fan is easily accessible, in order to add a switch. I'd hesitate to opt for manual control over radiator fans though (might not always be you driving it), especially if you've got no temperature gauge, as I don't believe we have!