Replacement hoses - dealer supplied, or hose 'off the roll'

BX Tech talk
andycadabra
BXpert

Replacement hoses - dealer supplied, or hose 'off the roll'

Post by andycadabra »

My local Latino garage and at last managed to partially remove perhaps one of the worlds most inaccessible hoses (the return from the heater radiator to the flange at the back of the engine). Seems like they now need me to supply a replacement hose.

When I last tried to get a similar one at the Citroen dealer it was going to take a week to get one sent from France, so I found a local motor accessory store that sold hose 'off the roll'. They fitted this that the high-pressure in the cooling system probably caused by a faulty head gasket blew a hole in it fairly quickly, and they fitted a bit of hose they had lying around, which worked.

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get this hose at a main dealer without waiting a week for it, and the garage need to free up the space, but I hesitate to get more hose 'off the roll', unless it's better quality.

The last one did seem to be British made, so should have been up to the job, but it does seem to be a lot stiffer than the original hose they removed. The garage told me to get 'oil resist' hose - is that an option?.

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

The hose on a roll has to be proper 'heater hose' and not ordinary water or air brake hose, if it is it will last on a straight run but it won't be any good if you have some tight bends as it will just kink and close up inside.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

the one I got was printed with 'heater hose', but it burst before it left the garage. Admittedly there was extra pressure in the cooling system at the time plus some washing-up liquid, but it shouldn't have done that.

this particular hose is a nightmare to replace, and browsing on eBay I've noticed that you can get 1m of 19mm bore silicone hose that will stand up to 200°C for £15. I'm not sure I'd be able to get one locally, so the garage might be pissed off to have to wait 2 or 3 days for it, while it's taking up their space!.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

I think your better off ordering the correct hose which should outlast the car, surely the garage will have other cars to work on whilst waiting for the right hose?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

I've managed to order one through a main dealer. £15 and it'll be in in 2 working days. I've had to pay up front so I just hope it's the right one..
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

I think thats the right decision for reliability and piece of mind.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202