BX Engine replacement

BX Tech talk
shogun

BX Engine replacement

Post by shogun »

Need to know if I can replace actual 1.7TD engine with a 1.9TD one.
I own a 1992 TZD XUD7TE/A8A Tks
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Yes you can :D

The more technically minded can provide you with the necessary info on what other differences there are regarding any modifying required to work in the bx.

Have you tried using the search function? There's probably a wealth of posts which have already covered this as a few members have done this conversion over the years.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

No reason why not. Depending on the donor you might have to swap various parts/brackets to give full BX functionality such as hydraulics.

One thing i would mention, going from 1.7 to 1.9 means a battle with the DVLA who will want a report from the garage that fitted the engine! Eventually i persuaded them i was telling the truth with a wedge of paperwork including the SORN and later scrapping of the donor vehicle and copies of two MOT's.

Then you'll have a fun time finding insurance. A change of engine type or capacity is considered by most insurers as an 'Engine Performance' modification (even if you go from a 1.9 16v engine with 160bhp to a 1.9 td with 92bhp) so you will get stung.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Vanny wrote:go from a 1.9 16v engine with 160bhp to a 1.9 td with 92bhp
Why ever would you want to do that??? :wink:
I had a minor battle with the DVLA too, wouldn't take my word for it so I got a friendly local garage to write a report to state that the engine was changed. There's a fair bit of info around on this forum so happy searching!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
shogun

RE: BX Engine replacement

Post by shogun »

Friends,
Thanks for information received.
Repairing my engine must be very expensive: engine is with moderate high oil consumption,turbo is leaking oil & diesel pump is out of tune;also smoke is thrown everytime engine is started.I am using now monograde 40w engine oil in every service .

I would be happy to look for any alternatives to find parts needed to repair actual 1.7TD engine at an affordable cost,and rebuild it as new.

I´ll appreciate any guide and help

Tks
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Might have to replace my 1.7 TD engine with a 1.9 TD. Most of the 1.9's available seem to use the Bosch diesel pump (but don't usually include it) so would come with the Bosch injectors - does anyone know if would these be incompatible with my roto diesel/Lucas CAV pump?.
should I make sure I get an engine with diesel pump included?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

erm, well, whilst you CAN run a Lucas pump with Bosch injectors, it wont be very happy, will smoke a lot and probably be near impossible to get through an emissions test.

As an aside, and whilst I'm not condoning lying to the authorities, since the 19 and 17 units look largely identical, it'd take someone that REALLY knows XUD's to even know it wasn't a 17...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Doc - if I get one and make sure the Bosch pump is included. and thanks for your thoughts on the other matter..

I've noticed some of the 1.9 engines (Xantia?) don't have the top of the engine 'grill pan' type intercooler that the Peugeot ones seem to share with the BX. Instead they have a large hose that comes right over the top of the engine to take in air near the radiator. If I got one of those, would my intercooler attach to the engine without a problem, or would there be anything gained by adapting the Xantia system?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

The BX type intercooler bolts directly to the inlet manifold, so your best (easiest) bet is to swap the inlet manifold over too. Otherwise you'll have to find space for an intercooler at the front of the engine bay, although you'd probably find it's more efficient in that position.
The turbo outlet elbow needs to be changed for the BX variant, or you could swap over the whole turbo assembly (I did the latter, as the Garratt turbo on the BX engine is easier to adjust the boost on).
Flywheel needs to be the BX flywheel, assuming you keep the BX gearbox. You could keep the 1.7 camshaft, or change to a 1.9 N/A cam for more low down torque. That's what I have, but I haven't done a back to back comparison of the 2 cams in the same car, so I can't say how noticeable the difference is.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

thanks Mat - can be BX flywheel can be fitted to the 1.9 easily?
Does that count for all the 1.9td's, Xantia, Peugeot, ZX, etc, or do you know if some are more compatible with the BX than others? (i.e. the Peugeots seem to have the same intercooler)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Yes, 6(?) bolts holding it onto the crank - make sure they use Loctite to stop them working loose! Any head will take any inlet manifold, so just go for the best engine.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Hi,Matt
Was your 1.9TD conversion from a Xantia donor vechile ?
mat_fenwick wrote:The BX type intercooler bolts directly to the inlet manifold, so your best (easiest) bet is to swap the inlet manifold over too......
Hi Andy,
andycadabra wrote:......(i.e. the Peugeots seem to have the same intercooler)
Would not a 1.9TD from a Xsara be more suitable as a donor , as the AC/IC is mounted on the top of the engine/cam-cover area as on a BX 1.7TD and possible may fit more readily, has anyone looked into this as a donor unit for the BX ?

I found this Photo of the Xsara 1.9TD engine, as I remember it being posted a while back (Well nearly a year ago, even without use of the search facility) in THIS thread (Courtesy of Kitch).

Has anyone looked into the Xsara as a donor unit for the BX, bearing in mind you'd have to remove the vacuum pump and
replace it with the HP LHM pump (If that's possible using the existing camshaft etc.) ?

RxBX
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

RxBX wrote:Hi,Matt
Was your 1.9TD conversion from a Xantia donor vechile ?
mat_fenwick wrote:The BX type intercooler bolts directly to the BX inlet manifold, so your best (easiest) bet is to swap the inlet manifold over too......
Sorry, I should have been more clear! Yes, it was from an early Xantia, but it's only 7(?) bolts holding the inlet manifold on so it makes no odds which engine you choose IMO. It'd be a bugger to swap 'em in situ but with the engine out it couldn't be easier.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
khan
Confirmed BX'er

Post by khan »

I woudn't take this engine from a Xsara or Pug 406 because this is a EURO II engine and is less responsive than a normal 1,7 TD on a BX. take it from an early Xantia or Pug 405, even early Pug 306, everything fits in the same place (intercooler, manifolds, turbo unit...), even the flywheel is the same. you will only need a BX 1,9 D camshaft because of the hidraulic pump, in order not to modify the existing camshaft. otherwise, the two camshafts have the same profile and cams dimensions, the difference is at the HP/vacuum pump end. the 1,7 TD camshaft has the cams shorter by half a mm. also you have to keep the old alternator support, the one in Xantia or Pug 405 with aircon is different and will not fit in the BX because of it's size. I did the same swap with a Pug 405 phase II TD engine with aircon and there was nothing else to modify unless I already mentioned
BX 2.1 Turbo D12 coming soon
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

khan wrote:even the flywheel is the same.
I'm sure the flywheel on my early Xantia engine was different…it had a pull type clutch as well. Am I imagining or mis-remembering things?
I would agree with you that to keep things simple, avoid a late electronic engine. Some of the later Xantia and ZXs had an anti theft immobiliser with a keypad; I think the stop solenoid was coded to the immobiliser (or was it a control unit that operated the solenoid?) and protected with a steel plate. To get round it you'd have to remove the plate and either replace the solenoid (or remove any control unit and run the wire direct to the solenoid).

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad