Height Corrector Hight Question

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Height Corrector Hight Question

Post by kiwi »

What should be the correct height of the BX off the ground in the Normal Road position.

Explain a bit better should the back be slightly higher than the front or the opposite away around or simple the same all around and where do you measure this point? Or points?

Why he asks

BX19TZS is lower at the front than the Back and has more of a stiffer suspension feel when driving.

BX19TRS is lower at the back but feels smoother

So it got me thinking about height correctors. 8)
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

i find they should be with the door sill line to ground sitting level along its length,

to give you the actual hight values i will have to dig out my OE BX mauals later if you still require it

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I got this sneeking feeling the TZS which is the one down at the front may not be at the correct height or playing up. The heights if you have them would be good, I cant seem to find them in the info I have.

Something that Doc wrote maybe me start thinking about the Front HC being the cause of the stiifer ride on this car most notable being able to feel the bumps in the roads.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Haynes book sez the front height should be 166 +10 or -7 mm measured from the middle of the subframe lower edge to the ground (standard tyres etc and right pressures obviously)

Rear: 223mm +10 or - 7mm measured from the middle of the rear sub frame cross member to the ground.

I'd say that the rear should not be lower than the front and that it should be level as Malcolm says or, if anything slightly lower at the front.

Of course, it's darn well difficult to get it to go to the settings indicated and find they've stayed set if your corrector linkages and/or suspension arm bushings and bearings are not in good condition.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

its also unusual for the subframe to be flat.

My understanding is that Citroen have a rather large (car sized) jig to set the ride height from the factory.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Well without getting to complex would I be right to assume that the Height Corrector may not be working as well as it should be on the TZS.

I figured at first flat spheres but if my memory serves correct the effect of a seized/faulty HC would also mean the front height could be to low meaning I get this stiffer ride.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

If the bush linkages that connect to the height corrector are worn, would that cause the problem rather than the actual height corrector itself? It could of course be the whole lot thats rather worn out.

If you measure up as per the specs provided & it is kinda in the ballpark, perhaps your accy sphere might be a bit flat. I think it was Mark who said that when he changed his, the damping of the suspension was quite a bit better.

I guess there's quite a few variables that could cause poor ride, if the main spheres are ok, then it must be the other bits, which one? will probably only reveal itself once the part or parts have been replaced?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

if my memory serves correct the effect of a seized/faulty HC would also mean the front height could be to low meaning I get this stiffer ride.
Aye, true but it could equally run too high for some time if the corrector is gunged up.

Honestly, the only way I know to check this is to have the car at 'normal' height, push down (i.e sit on the bonnet) the front and wait until it begins to re level the height. Ideally, this should be within 15 seconds but if it stays low for 20-30 or more then the corrector or the lever trying to move it are ineffective and need looked at.

Similarly, if from normal height up one notch on the height lever to intermediate, there is a major wait for any movement or just NO movement then it's the same story: either the corrector valve's internal movement damper is clogged AND/OR the lever tryig to move it has too much slop on it's pivot AND/OR to much free play where it touches the ball on the corrector.

You'll only know by getting the fugga up on a 4 poster to watch the mechanism move while underneath.

Other things that can make the ride poor are swollen, seized suspension rubber bushes and/or jamming suspension struts (also sticking brakes but you'd know if this was the case)

Also: just thought, all of the above might be working OK but if the normal height of the car is trimmed too high or low then it'll also 'feel' bumpy as it either tops out out or bottoms out. Perhaps your front axle suspension is too high trimmed?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

The easy check for ride height is - at the front you should be able to insert your hand vertically between the wheel and the wing with not too much if any clearance.
If the front checks out ok and the car is then not level adjust the rear height.

This all assumes that the height control linkage is adjusted properly and the car has been driven a bit so that you are measuring the real, in use ride height.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.