http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citreon-Peugeot-F ... 27ae295f82

If not, any guidance would be helpful.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Cibx
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen Bx 16s 4wd, MbE 220 Cdi

Post by Cibx »

No it is not. It's mechanical and takes power from the cam shaft. You need electrical like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-BX-RENAUL ... 5d244d8243
Citroen Bx 16 valve 4wd
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Ahha - when I'd posted I thought 'hang on' I was being dumb. Of course! Thanks.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Phil
looking at the difference in price it was probably a case of very wishfull thinking rather than a dumb moment
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Thats a point, I havent changed the fuel filter on my TZi, what do they cost and are they and easy job, I expect it hasnt been changed in YEARS!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Stupid questions save from stupid mistakes, thats my moto anyways!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Does that mechanical fuel pump fit any BX?

Tim - they cost under a tenner, i got my mechanic to change the fuel filter on the gti, its right next to the electric pump underneath near the driver side rear wheel area (is the txi one in the same spot?). Biggest problem was that it fits into a hole in a rubber mount that the pump is also part of & guess what, the bugger didnt fit in the way it was supposed to, so he had to go in from the other end & squeezed it in. I purchased my filter from GSF, perhaps a genuine citroen one would be the correct shape to fit in a bit easier.

Also watch out for fuel pissing out of the fuel line, best if you can plug it off as i believe on the bx the fuel tank just continues to empty unlike modern cars which have some of valve to avoid this problem.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Roverman wrote:Thats a point, I havent changed the fuel filter on my TZi, what do they cost and are they and easy job, I expect it hasnt been changed in YEARS!
It is a very easy job Tim. I have bought 2 on ebay recently and changed them in 15 mins.
No need to worry about draining out the tank, the pump contains a valve that maintains system pressure and stops siphoning. Just relieve the presssure in the system first - undo the fuel hose on top of the engine before you go underneath.
My filters slid in quite easilyyou will be pleased to hear.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'm wondering about the return valve you mention Jaba: It maintains pressure OK? Kermit suggested that a possible cause of my (likely) fuel pressure issue at the rail - resulting in poor hot starting/idling - could be that this valve has failed meaning pressure is lost from the system very quickly. I also had a slight (I thought) issue of a very small fuel leak that manifested itself under the pump/filter when the car was started after being stationary for a while. The leak - which could be a small drip - seemed (seems) to disappear promptly enough, so I assumed the small drips were pooling somewhere and as the car rose this 'pool' dribbled onto the road, leaving a petrolly patch about 3 inches across. Up on the ramps we couldn't find evidence of a leak, but the pump and filter were not actually removed.

Any views?
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

This pressure thing is a bit hypothetical as a diagnosis. It needs measuring first really. A quick check might be to disconnect the fuel hose at the injector rail after say 20 mins stationary and see if you a good bit of pressure left in the system. Three bars makes quite a spurt.

The pressure is maintained by the one way valve within the pump and the 3 bar regulator on the rail together with the injectors and assisted by the pulsation buffer/accumulator which is located (inaccessibly) near the pump on top of the subframe .

If you have a petrol leak then I would fill the tank up and have a good look around, a torch helps to spot fluid leaks. Park the car overnight over some clean paper/cardboard to find out exactly where it is dripping from. Anything is possible as a source but check for something rubbing on the hoses to and from the pump and filter and particularly the pulse damper which is situated in a very wet area and always looks and gets rusty.
The metal fuel pipes along the RH side can and do rust through eventually.

An ideal diagnosis would be - you have a small leak in the supply line after the pump which is leaking away the pressure and giving you hot starting issues - (so it won't be that then).
I think though that you would smell petrol around the car.

As posted before these people do a very good job of injector cleaning... http://www.injectorcleaning.co.uk/post.htm
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Thanks John. When the weather improves I'll start tracking down the problem: possibilities are finite after all :lol: In the meantime as the car is my only transport at the moment, I can't exactly pop the injectors in the post - but I have a source (probably) of a set of low mileage second hand injectors from a GTi of the same year which I could send off and get cleaned... just a thought...?

Anyway, I'll keep y'all posted. And believe me your collective input is greatly appreciated. :)