1.9D - Sudden loss of power.

BX Tech talk
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Well I'm back in Dub in the comfort of my own chair.

Friday morning's coolant check showed the level back down again. :( One thing that was noticed on Thursday night before return to base, was oil misting from the rear of the cam cover and some oil about the head. Headed out in the Volvo to get a cam cover gasket and brought both car over to a dry garage nearby. Upon removing the air box, I could see that two of the three cam cover bolts had unwound themselves a bit - must have left them loose 7 weeks ago and forgot to tighten them up properly when I recommenced the job :oops: Old hard one removed and new soft one fitted and had a quick inspection of some wiring.

Coolant level light - happy with the operation of that. Sender good, wiring good, dash lights good.

Fan thermoswitch. Happy with the wiring of that, shorted the 3 wire connector block and got the fan running at slow and fast speeds.

Temp warning switches. Happy with the wiring of those and shorted each to get the dashboard lights showing amber / knackered, red / totally knackered.

Poured some water in and found that whilst lying on the floor, I could see water dripping from at two places. One from the rear of the engine and one from the sump. Traced back to the same source.

Red arrow was where the water was leaking from in a steady trickle. Yellow arrow is where I picked at the hose with a finger nail and managed to remove a lump of rubber.

Went on a mission to AEP to get a 1307J4, came back, hacksawed the rusty clip off, mangled the shiny clip with a big screw driver off and cut the old hard disintegrating pipe off with a Stanley knife. Managed to squeeze the new pipe in there and get two stainless Jubilee clips on (that were fortunately the right size and in my toolbox there) Topped up with anti-freeze and no sign of water loss anywhere else.

It was around 3.20pm then and the only thing I managed to get done on my own car was a thermostat and fit stainless Jubilee clips on the top hose of my Volvo. Still hadn't been to the bank or got the sweeties from the Chinese cash & carry. Took both cars back to base and headed out in BX with owner after getting scrubbed up at 4.15pm to the RBS machine. Two folk in front, then when it gets to me "Out of Service" comes up :evil: Wizzed down the road to the large Toscos and found another RBS machine there, then had to go back to where I started to get to the Clydesdale, two minutes before closing at 4.43pm. Having made it in time, I decided my luck was in and to head into the city centre to get the sweeties. Got there 5.30pm in stop/start M8 Friday afternoon usualness and was lucky as they didn't close until 6pm. Then had to go back over the Kingston Bridge in similar traffic and got back to base about 6pm.

Anyway, that 16 mile round trip didn't cause any worry lights to illuminate, so I'm hoping that's the coolant loss put to bed. I've heard nothing yet from the owner about the car since leaving on Friday night. The idea was to put some confidence miles back on it first and see what the MOT man says next month.

Hopefully the car will behave itself and if being retained, I will look at doing the belt again and perhaps the water pump when delve back in there to sort that wee thread out.

^^ ^^ ^^bx>
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Sounds like you had loads of fun, but a good result in the end. =D> =D>
They think it's all over, it is now!