anyone electric supercharged a BX before?

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

anyone electric supercharged a BX before?

Post by B-Hive »

hello

Just installed smoked tail lights from a 91 TRI into the markI . great improvement I have to say. Very sultry against the metallic blue/grey.

Here-in lies a dilemma for me. The better my BX starts to look the more that I urge it to have better performance..

It is, from standstill and on hills, very uninspiring. Yes it is just 1.6 and auto but its weight advantage should more than make up for this.

I have posed this Q before here and the consensus has been to not bother beefing it up but to buy a better/quicker model. I agree in principle with this notion, however emotion and other (economic) factors have me reconsidering performance improvement alternatives.

Specifically I am toying with the idea of purchasing an electric supercharger. This unit would install easily and better still can be just as easily unfitted and thus not be a direct expense to the BX.

There are some really cheap ones out there, but I'd prefer to go for the better engineered solutions at about $500 (approx 200 pounds).

My motor and tranny are still really solid and could easily handle the extra loads. Cooling system is excellent.

Yes I could buy the best 16v out there, but liking the idea of having a baby wolf in sheep's clothing. Besides the 16v are enormously more difficult and complicated to work on.

Any thoughts ??
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Electric Supercharger :lol: :lol: Now i must admit i don't know too much about Superchargers, but the on one my mini runs off a belt which is connected to the engine, that to me seems the only real way of one working correctly.

I've seen some of these electric one's advertised, but always presumed that it was bollxxxs tbh, am i wrong? I am open minded when it comes to gizmos, but i would have thought that if they are that cheap then why isnt everyone fitting them?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
ginger dave

Re: anyone electric supercharged a BX before?

Post by ginger dave »

2BXORNOT2BX wrote:hello

Just installed smoked tail lights from a 91 TRI into the markI . great improvement I have to say. Very sultry against the metallic blue/grey.

Here-in lies a dilemma for me. The better my BX starts to look the more that I urge it to have better performance..

It is, from standstill and on hills, very uninspiring. Yes it is just 1.6 and auto but its weight advantage should more than make up for this.

I have posed this Q before here and the consensus has been to not bother beefing it up but to buy a better/quicker model. I agree in principle with this notion, however emotion and other (economic) factors have me reconsidering performance improvement alternatives.

Specifically I am toying with the idea of purchasing an electric supercharger. This unit would install easily and better still can be just as easily unfitted and thus not be a direct expense to the BX.

There are some really cheap ones out there, but I'd prefer to go for the better engineered solutions at about $500 (approx 200 pounds).

My motor and tranny are still really solid and could easily handle the extra loads. Cooling system is excellent.

Yes I could buy the best 16v out there, but liking the idea of having a baby wolf in sheep's clothing. Besides the 16v are enormously more difficult and complicated to work on.

Any thoughts ??
Dont waste your money .If they worked car manufacturers would install them,and i wouldnt have gone to the trouble of spending £7 k having a belt driven eaton type blower fitted to my little Lotus.You would go quicker A to B fitting a quality set of tyres.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Its a simple meterials issue, you could have an electric air pump feeding the engine, but to get it to work it would need to be massive, and the tips of the blades would get close to supersonic speeds. As it rotates the blades then stretch, exploding the housing and resulting in a rather big mess. So then you have to go down the aero engine route of growing blades from a single crystal of metal, enjoy that job.

It's not that it isn't possible, just very very very expensive to get any benefit.

Similar techniques have been used successfully on car engines before, but give little benefit.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

more importantly, unless you like changing autoboxes ona daily basis, and have a limitless supply of them, I REALLY wouldn't bother...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
B-Hive
BXpert

thx 4 the input

Post by B-Hive »

Done some more research on electric superchargers and it look like although it theoretically feasible it is currently technically not really viable.

The key will be brushless DC motors that will transform the technology (as well perhaps as for electric engines)

looks like its the old tried and trusted lumpy cam/extractor/clean intake path should i decide to give the old mk1 some more grunt.
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed