TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
pindimar
BXpert
My Cars: no longer any BXs but do have a Xantia

Front struts

Post by pindimar »

speaking of the struts, without things getting too drastic, what are the first signs that the struts have passed their use-by-date, I wonder?

I get the feeling that the front suspension "bottoms" when I hit a pot-hole at more than very moderate speed. Well, not "bottoming" but noisy, at least.

GregF
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Re: bx struts

Post by Aerodynamica »

djm666 wrote:it could well be the bearings in the front arms? even though the bx has not had bearing in the front wishbones since the mark 1.
the later BX's have bushes.
you could be right on the anti roll bar side of things. i have never had
Was this a response to my suggestion? if so - I said 'Bushings' not 'bearings' Bushings = bushes
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
djm666
BXpert

Post by djm666 »

if the suspension bottoms i would not think it to be a problem with the struts straight off.
if you get bad feed to the return it is usually the struts on the way out blowing off returns.
they just usually make a noise and anoy the driver more than anything.

unless you go to hot into a hump back bridge and leave the ground they bottom then. my tzd nearly died that way. ha ha, that was due to corrosion and electrolosis think that how it spelt. and the bridge being the final straw it blew lhm every were.

all right then bushings. sorry read it wrong. :roll:
David Musk

TXD Turbo 92
4X4 Estate 90
CX25GTi Turbo 85
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Are these bx struts?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shock-absorbers-C ... 2ea7df13b3

It does say shock absorbers??!!!?

Cheers
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I would bet they're just the spheres - not a bad price it they were the struts though!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Yup - they're spheres :cry:

Have you ever reconditioned a strut Mat? I was thinking I might get a couple of old ones and have a go, but I don't know if I can even obtain the kits... Maybe someone knows the French for "strut" - and I know it's not Napoleon, or promenade or marche! (Well no, I don't come to think of it).
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

^ is it 'amortisseur' ?
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That would probably get you by if you were in France, although my usual method is to point at the relevant part and say the English name in the most French accent possible...
I've never rebuilt a strut myself but do have a set spare 'just in case'! There is a well witten guide on how to rebuild them here.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Thanks - that's the guide that gave me the idea to have a go. I've just got to find the kits now. I'll ring 'Pleiades tomorrow (surely a lesson in itself as to how not to name a business!). Their website address is dead so I'll try the phone.

I've been quoted a price of £75 supply and fit with a second hand strut but I'd rather have a strut that I'm sure is good...
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I thought I'd ask at my local Citroen dealer about strut service kits today and there really are none available it would seem.

However, I was offered a genuine Citroen strut on import for ------- over £500 plus VAT. There is also a non-Citroen part at £250 plus VAT

Blimey guvnor.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

scarecrow wrote:I was offered a genuine Citroen strut on import for ------- over £500 plus VAT.
So are you going to get one or both? Perhaps a spare too? :shock:

If you could find a dealer that still has one in stock, they may be keen to get rid of it at a more realistic price - you could point out that they are unlikely to sell it for the full price now. That approach has worked well for me in the past; I find out from my local dealer if any other dealers have an obscure part in stock, then phone up the said dealer and make an offer.
That reminds me, my Citroen dealer said they had some BX bits in stock they they were going to bin, and I'm still waiting for a call back to arrange a time to look round 'upstairs'.

Slightly worrying the service kits are apparently NLA, but I wonder if you'd get a different answer if you supplied the part numbers...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

No, the guy had the part No.s for the kits - 95 597221 (£4.33) and 95 650941 (£29.33).

I'd like to get the specifications for the various components of these kits to try to source them individually - the parts bloke suggested the seals might be available from gearbox overhaulers. If they can be made up from other sources there must be a market for them, or at least for struts reconditioned using them.

I'm also wondering if xantia struts could be modified to fit the BX - I have a club-hammer!
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Hi Mat/Scarecrow
mat_fenwick wrote:.....
I've never rebuilt a strut myself but do have a set spare 'just in case'! There is a well written guide on how to rebuild them here.
Also read thro' THIS pdf file which may be of help in your strut refurbishment task !

:D

RxBX
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Thanks RxBx - that could come in very handy at some stage.