loss of water in the radiator!

BX Tech talk
Rgod
Confirmed BX'er

loss of water in the radiator!

Post by Rgod »

Hello

I have a 8v petrol bx-89-225K,and every week i add about a half litter of water(green prestone),and another prob is the steering heavy when the car is cold -maybe the pump shoud be changed .

some suggestions for solving this prob ,thanks
Last edited by Rgod on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

Regarding the heavy steering, this current thread might be worth reading;

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11584

I'm sure someone more mechanically minded will be along soon and ask the necessary questions to narrow down the possible causes of the coolant loss.
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

There are so many ways you can lose water.

The first point is. Do not fill it to the top, it should be filled to just over half full.
They think it's all over, it is now!
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the rad should be filled to the top but only to the bottom of the filler neck,

dose this car start evenly on all 4 cylenders from cold,

remove the spark plugs and check the colour of the electrodes/tips, they should all be a biscuity colour,

for the steering firstly check the hydraulic pump belt is very tight, then check the hydraulic tank filtters are clean,

you should also check the LHM level by raiseing the car to its highest setting on level ground, check the yellow disc in the sight glass is between the two red bands (this is the top disc in the sight glass/level indicator)
if these are all ok it could be the pump on its last legs,

what mileage has the car done

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Rgod
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rgod »

the car starts fine -4 cilinders in order,the spark plugs had been changed recently.In the morning it takes about 6 minutes for the stop light to go off,in the summer its about 15 sec ,225K KM .
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

citronut wrote:the rad should be filled to the top but only to the bottom of the filler neck
A confusing statement, as the filler goes down almost to the bottom of the radiator? Surely the correct fill level should be a few inches below the filler cap to allow for expansion.

Some of the books refer to a radiator dipstick tube, but I have never seen one of these even on new BX's I had.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Rgod
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rgod »

have any suggestions why the water may disappears ?and how much to fill it ?
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Rgod wrote:have any suggestions why the water may disappears ?and how much to fill it ?
You said
every week i add about a half litter of water(green prestone)
Half Litre ever week is that after driving or from just sitting there without running the engine?

Way2go as sort of answered this already for you.

It is expansion! The Radiator will never be full right to the Radiaotor cap but will drop down a couple of inches due to expansion.

When you check the water at cold if it is level with the top of the Radiator ie down a few inches in the filler neck tha is ok. You also have a back up with a Low level Coolant light on the dashboard connected to a probe at the lower part of the radiator filler neck. Check that it works! Easy way is to remove it then turn key to accessory postion then you will see the yellow low coolant light on the dash.

Sounds to me that you are overfilling the coolant and not allowing for expansion.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the part i would call the neck is from the top down to the top of the rad eliment/core, were there is a ledge, this ledge is about were the level should be,

also i have had BX's with a dip stick/tube,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Rgod
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rgod »

after driving every day,in the end of the weak a fill up a half littre.

I have never seen the orange lamp get on,i have a red one in the middle and it works before i start the car and then its off,the water can get down and the lamp doesnt works.

I think i have a leak of water to the head,because in the filler cap oil there is a little white ,mixture of oil.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Rgod wrote:after driving every day,in the end of the weak a fill up a half littre.

I have never seen the orange lamp get on,i have a red one in the middle and it works before i start the car and then its off,the water can get down and the lamp doesnt works.

I think i have a leak of water to the head,because in the filler cap oil there is a little white ,mixture of oil.
What you dont say is how far your travel in theat week and the type of driving ie short trips.

Regarding the white mayo you see in your Oil! Might point out it is winter in the north and the BX is well known for developing mayo in the filler cap due to condensation from the coller conditions and short journeys.

If you are filling the Rad to the top of the tube YOU WILL lose approximately 1/2 litre due to expansion. Within probably the first journey where the engine has reached temp and kicked in the fan.

Sounds like you panicing without real proof of Head Failure.
Rgod
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rgod »

I drive short distances,about 25 KM a day 40-50 MPH .
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Rgod wrote:I drive short distances,about 25 KM a day 40-50 MPH .
Well that answers it then

Short distance low speed = Mayo build

As for that water loss that also sounds normal given the Filler down the side of the radiator is the expansion tank. I assume you are using an anti freeze/coolant mix as well? Antii freeze/ Coolant acts as a coolant hence the name and prevents the water in the Radiator expanding to much hence the water loss.

When was the last time you changed the Oil? If your driving short distance I would recommend the 6 month or 5000km regime given the build ups you are causing.

Does sound like you just need a good service though given your passed history with this car.
Rgod
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Rgod »

I was driving today and the car was at 105 C almost at the red,the lamp was orange,i stopped ,the fans didnt work at all ,do the fans work when there is no water in the rad?,i filled about a littre and a half .
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

The fan switch is on the same side of the radiator as the filler, near the bottom.

The only BX I've worked on was a 92 diesel and it had a three terminal fan thermo switch. 1 is earth, the other two is for slow/fast fan.