Birdsong under the bonnet..

BX Tech talk
andycadabra
BXpert

Birdsong under the bonnet..

Post by andycadabra »

I'm getting a chirping sound which I think is coming from the belt driving the HP pump. Just had some work done on the engine and I don't think they tightened it up enough as there is about half an inch of give in it. The sound is intermittent and rev dependent, and lasts from 1 to 3 seconds.
Is the solution to tighten the belt, or to squirt silicone spray at it, as I've read elsewhere on the forum, might solve the problem?
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Andy,

Forget the silicone spray, it may stop the birds singing for a little while, but the belt will slip even more.

This belt has to be very very tight indeed, you may have to use an extension to your spanner.

Good luck
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Sounds like the HP belt, the (slightly tongue in cheek!) solution is to tighten it up as much as you think possible, then give it a tweak...
Seriously, they do need to be tight - I use a lever between the gearbox and the pump body to tension it and then tighten the nut locking it in position.

EDIT - you beat me to it Brian!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Thanks for the advice guys. The last time I used the car it wasn't making that noise, but bearing in mind what you both said about the belt need to be very tight, I'll get that sorted anyway.