XM ACCUMULATOR SPHERE

BX Tech talk
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

They are 'handed' - diesel pumps go on the left of the engine while petrol pumps on the right (as you sit in the driver's seat).
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Thanks Bob, I did note they were fitted in different places but wasnt sure if that made a difference to the way they operate.

So has anyone got a petrol HP pump, new or known to be excellent used?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

What about that posting about the gti 8valve that was being broken as part of scrappage, contact the breakers, they may sell it to you for peanuts??
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Thought I'd resurrect this because I reshimmed the pressure regulator on Saturday and already not improved hydraulic performance.

I now realise that with the PR maintaining a higher cut out pressure that the accumulator will be more compressed gas wise. All this talk of Xm center spheres has me thinking that it would be interesting to fit a bigger sphere of slightly higher pressure as an accumulator to hold a larger reserve.

So is the XM center front a 500cc, no damper, rest pressure of 60bar or over?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Aerodynamica wrote: So is the XM center front a 500cc, no damper, rest pressure of 60bar or over?
Actually it's 500cc, no damper, rest pressure 70bar.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Roverman wrote: PAS works fine, as does everything else once its running, just that the rear end sits down quickly and takes a while to rise when cold. The accu spheres tired anyway so though about fitting a bigger one.
Strangely enough, even though it will keep the back end up a bit longer, fitting a bigger/new accu will probably make the car even slower to rise, because the pump first has to fill the spheres up to pressure before the car budges.

The back end symptom could be old LHM, or leaky rear struts, or most likely a tired doseur. Not a big problem unless the braking is affected, in which case it must be well gone.

If your PAS is fine, for me that is the indisputable proof that the pump is working perfectly, frankly, I would leave it well alone !
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Well, I have just fitted the XM centre sphere to the regulator of the CX and I must say it seems to have made a large improvement to the action of the steering and suspension.

I should say that the sphere alone will make no odds but recently I reset the regulator to cut in and out at a higher level - raises the overall pressure you see, the effect being that the gas is more compressed in the accumulator and holds a larger volume of LHM under a higher pressure. The XM sphere being both 500cc and higher initial pressure of 70b needs a higher pressure of LHM to compress it to a high proportion and so works really well with the reset regulator.

End result is lighter steering, and with the engine off the rear suspension will relevel twice (almost 3 times!) under its own pressure. Front will do it once. Before it didn't do it at all with a normal accumulator fitted last Sept.

Anyway, just FYI!!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'