difficult starting diesel bx

BX Tech talk
Dennis Rosser

difficult starting diesel bx

Post by Dennis Rosser »

Hi, first attempt every day my 1993 non turbo bx is difficult to start. When the glowplug light goes out it fires on the key then dies immediately.If I persist after six or eight attempts holding the key on it fires up, noisily with a lot of smoke then settles down and runs fine. The rest of the day it starts first turn of the key, no problem. It's always and only the first time each day no matter what the time or the weather. Any help woul be very much appreciated. Thanks Dennis.
rob-81
BXpert

Post by rob-81 »

Hi Dennis. There's a very good link for diesel starting difficulties here:

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4207

It might be a good place to start.

Best wishes,
Rob
19 TGD estate
17 TZD Turbo hatch
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

first and easyest thing to check/replace is the glow plugs, very easy on a N/A BX

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Dennis
Your diesel is running back to the tank overnight, your one way valve is bypassing it may just have a bit of sh-t stuck in it. Have you got the filter head with attached primer on top? if so pumping this a few times can sometimes clear it but you won't know untill you try it the following day. If you can remove the filter head and blow the valve through with compressed air if available. Worst case sinario is a new filter head.

Kevan
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dennis Rosser

difficult starting bx diesel

Post by Dennis Rosser »

Many thanks for your help. It was the fact that it was only a problem first time of the day. I didnt want to start replacing parts in the hope that I hit the right one first time.I will check your suggestion out today. Thanks, Dennis.
Dennis Rosser

Difficult starting bx diesel

Post by Dennis Rosser »

Thanks for all your help, new glow plugs, less than £30 at eurocarparts, cured the problem, car now starts first time every time. Thanks again Dennis.