More hydraulic woes

BX Tech talk
BX596
BXpert

More hydraulic woes

Post by BX596 »

Right.A few weeks ago I changed the alternator,disturbing the main feed pipe to the pump.After much headscratching and requests for advice,I primed the pump-back end not coming up,haevy steering,delay in brake operation. I bled the rear brakes(a saga in itself) with no appreciable difference.Got a pump (thanks Richard) and fitted it this morning.I now have steering and suspension :shock: :P but there is still a delay when pressing the brake pedal.Do I need to bleed the fronts,or does anybody know of a reason why my brakes are still dodgy.There was no problems with ANYTHING till I knocked the bloody feed pipe offf
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Not being that techie dean, i'd try bleeding the fronts, air seems to get itself trapped in the brakes quite easily i guess.

Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs, have you double checked the hydraulic pipes going into the fdv for tightness?

There arent any splits in the rubber hydraulic pipes anywhere? If there is any dripping lhm, that might be an indicator of where air could be getting in?

Hope you get it sorted mate, mine seems to be pissing lhm at an increased rate these day's, i tried tightening up the pipes on the fdv as that was a suspect area for mine, but i could only access the top 2 & not the bottom 3 :x
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Experience taught me that tightening that pump belt is totally counter-intuitive. You FIRST tighten it like any normal human being, and then you tighten it some more. Once you've done that, you can nip the bloody thing up a tad for luck! :shock:

I had a similar problem to yours with my Mk1, after I'd 'serviced' it and changed the belts ........ where the steering would suddenly go heavy on me - scary stuff - and the brakes would sometimes feel strange too .... especially when the weather was wet. It was a hairy old French retired Citroen mechanic in the same village as mine who solemnly informed me that it was the pump belt slipping under load.

He was right too! He watched me adjust that belt - and then asked me if I was gay. :shock: When HE adjusted it, it was tensioned like a violin string - but the hydraulics went back to normal as a result.

Just a thought like. :?
Last edited by Linegeist on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

deleted
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Good answer :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

Well we're nearly there,the pump belt is now bar tight.Messed about with the PR screw and got the car up.Still a slight delay on braking and back end lifts a little under heavy braking,but it's drivable.Could somebody please explain the procedure with the PR screw so I can see if I can get it perfect
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

If you've got the suspension up and the brakes bled, I'm not sure what else you can do :?

Does your ABS light work?
They think it's all over, it is now!
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

ken newbold wrote:If you've got the suspension up and the brakes bled, I'm not sure what else you can do :?

Does your ABS light work?
Yep
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Easy one this! Back end rises under braking. Beginners' stuff indeed. Bleed the back brakes. There is still air in them. The best way is to take two lengths of clear washer tube, each a BX long and fix them onto the bleed nipples. run the ends back to the reservoir over the car, down the windscreen and start the brute. Foot on the brakes until the air is purged. You'll see it. That WILL cure the rise and the delay.
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

tom wrote:Easy one this! Back end rises under braking. Beginners' stuff indeed. Bleed the back brakes. There is still air in them. The best way is to take two lengths of clear washer tube, each a BX long and fix them onto the bleed nipples. run the ends back to the reservoir over the car, down the windscreen and start the brute. Foot on the brakes until the air is purged. You'll see it. That WILL cure the rise and the delay.
Almost right.Some numpty(who shall remain nameless :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ) had forgot to tighten the pipe into the caliper.Tightened the pipe and bled the brakes and the brakes are almost perfect(I reckon there's still a little bit of air in there)The steering still loads up now and again,but I can live with it for the time being
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the PR bleed valve/screw (12mm spanner size) on the front of the regulater, undo no more than 3/4 of a turn, and with engine running at tick over for about two minuites, then hold the rev's up at about 2500 rpm whilst closeing the bleed valve,

this it the method citroen used to state after working on the hydraulics, for bleeding the main system back in the DS,GS and CX days,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

That won't bleed the braking system though; there are no return pipes from the calipers so the only way out for air is through the bleed nipples.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

no Tom i know you cant bleed the brakes via the regulater bleed valve,as i have worked on and around citroen's for quite a few years, some of which at citroen service agents,

but if you read BX596 second post in this topic he dose ask how to bleed the regulater.

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
tom
Citroen Sorceror

Post by tom »

citronut wrote:i have worked on and around citroen's for quite a few years, some of which at citroen service agents,

but if you read BX596 second post in this topic he dose ask how to bleed the regulater.

regards malcolm
That pretty well explains the quality of the Citroen service agent!
You are giving the wrong solution to the problem rather than giving the correct one and thereby exposing the man to unnecessary physical risk, failing to solve the problem and making matters more difficult for him instead of explaining why the procedure would be unnecessary. Yep. sounds like you are a bona fide Citroen Agent!
BX596
BXpert

Post by BX596 »

Is it possible to "get it wrong"?I have pressure,but it seems as there is not enough to make everything work as it should,if you know what I mean :roll: The suspension comes up,but slowly,the brakes work,but aftera second or 2,the steering is OK most of the time,but gets heavy after a bit.Hydraulics is not my forte.Give me a spanner and tell me what to fix and I'll fix it,but this is beginning to seriously piss me off :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: