Are Reversing lights tested in a UK MOT?

BX Tech talk
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Are Reversing lights tested in a UK MOT?

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Hi,

The reversing lights on my 406 do not work, but it is not the bulbs.

It could be the switch, but it is too cold to investigate. MOT due in a few days- can I leave it for now or will it fail?

thanks,

Mike
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Nope, not part of the MOT.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Roverman wrote:Nope, not part of the MOT.
:shock:

Wow they are here in NZ! Basically if an external light is fitted it must work that includes Front Foglamps and the none compulsory fitted Rear Fog Lights.

You 100% sure the UK MOT does not include Reversing Lights?
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Tim's definitely right. It's the only case of a light on the car that doesn't have to work. Another oddity is that the rear wiper is not a test point so clearly they don't care whether you can see what's behind you!

Given how cars are styled these days, and the way people drive, clearly a lot of people don't care what's going on behind them either...
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

The MOT Tester website is a very very good guide to what is and isn't on the MOT.

http://www.motester.co.uk/CarOwnersGuid ... ested.aspx

In the lights section it does not list the reverse lights as a requirement for test, however it deos list else where that ANY safety device fitted to the vehicle must function correctly. This would suggest your reverse lights must work.

In the case of the rear wiper, i have a fail certificate which lists the rear wiper as a failure becuase it was fitted but the switch was knackered. I removed the wiper arm, and as this meant the wiper was no longer fitted it passed.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

the other rear light that dose not have to work for a UK MOT is the N/S rear fog lamp, and Vanny the rear wiper is not an MOTable item in the UK, so i think the test station that failed it dont know what they are talking about

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

It's not quite that simple
There is the ' The Construction and Use a Act ' which is complicated but basically if the vehicle was manufactured with it then it should be functioning when tested this can also include accesories fitted after manufacture but before sale if a type approval certificate or cerificate of conformity applies. So in theory I would think the reverse lights on a BX should be working for test but other vehicles that were not manufactured with reverse lights wont need any to pass an MOT so generally testers may turn a blind eye. The N/S rear fog lights of most UK cars were not constructed for use and therefore not required to be working (you will find that althought there might be a n/s fog light in the cluster it will not have a working bulb holder in UK spec. cars) The same could apply to the rear wiper and the examiner could well have been within his rights to fail the car if it is fitted but not working.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

Vanny wrote:The MOT Tester website is a very very good guide to what is and isn't on the MOT.

In the lights section it does not list the reverse lights as a requirement for test, however it deos list else where that ANY safety device fitted to the vehicle must function correctly. This would suggest your reverse lights must work.

And if you watch the video on the lights test the examiner clearly reaches in the car to engage reverse and checks the reverse light on the Golf?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Vanny wrote:The MOT Tester website is a very very good guide to what is and isn't on the MOT.

There's also the official VOSA manual @ motinfo.gov.uk too
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Defender110 wrote:And if you watch the video on the lights test the examiner clearly reaches in the car to engage reverse and checks the reverse light on the Golf?
Oh no he doesn't. He reaches into the car to activate the hazard warning light switch.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

some UK spec cars do have both rear fogs fitted and functional, but for a UK car if,when fitted the O/S rear fog has got to work, but the N/S dose not need to be wirking, and in all the many years i have worked on cars and taken then for a MOT, the rear wiper has never had to work at all,

the same for reverseing lamps,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Defender110
Over 2k

Post by Defender110 »

macplaxton wrote:
Defender110 wrote:And if you watch the video on the lights test the examiner clearly reaches in the car to engage reverse and checks the reverse light on the Golf?
Oh no he doesn't. He reaches into the car to activate the hazard warning light switch.
I was referring to after the hazards but I was still mistaken it was the rear fog he is activating, the brightness makes it look white in the video (on my laptop at least)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Defender110 wrote: I was referring to after the hazards but I was still mistaken it was the rear fog he is activating, the brightness makes it look white in the video (on my laptop at least)
I did watch it a couple of times and couldn't see any reversers come on.

Btw, it was a tongue-in-cheek pantomime style "oh no he doesn't", but I couldn't find an emoticon for it. :lol:
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

car failed mot, but not on the reversing lights
la BX 16 soupapes: sachez apprecier avec moderation.

It might be clever now, but it won't be in the morning!
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Care to expand....