Spare engine .............. what to look for?

BX Tech talk
Linegeist
BXpert

Spare engine .............. what to look for?

Post by Linegeist »

I'm still a relative newbie to BX ownership, so please forgive me if I ask questions that to most of you will probably seem like numptology........!

I now have this very clean Athena, which I suspect will be good a good few years. Being a techie, I don't trust machines very much and I thought it'd be nice to procure a spare 1.6 engine. If necessary I'd be happy to replace shells, rings, that kind of thing - swap it out, and then rebuild the original as well as a spare.

My question is, what engine(s) can I use?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Well a peugeot 205/309/405 used the same engines so that worth bearing in mind, if the athenas running ok I wouldnt worry, ive owned a couple of XU petrol engines with over 150k on the clock (one had over 200k) and all was well, your more likely to have to rebuild the top end more than the bottom, so a spare head would be a good idea.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Linegeist
BXpert

Post by Linegeist »

Excellent! Thank you for that - it looks like I have a choice ... makes a change. Presumably all the weird brackets for the BX stuff just bolt straight onto the Peugeot/Renault engine blocks. I'll feel a lot happier taking her on journeys once the engine's a known quantity.

As for the mileage - I'm afraid the Athena's been well clocked ... hard to pin down a number but, from the state of the rear arm bearings, the knackered pump, the replaced (and crooked) steering wheel, the rattly driveshaft joints and the well-worn throttle pedal, I'm estimating she's done in excess of 200,000 miles. I also suspect they haven't been cossetted miles either, going by the state of various fasteners and pipes.

Apart from the mechanical long-term neglect/butchery evident, the car otherwise is immaculate and rust-free. So much so that I plan to break my Break (Wow! I made a joke there .... :shock: ) as a donor vehicle for the Athena's suspension and running gear replacement (can I swap my excellent TZD gearbox across for the clapped out and crunchy Athena one?) and make the Athena a long-term keeper. :) :) :)