pesky windows

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

pesky windows

Post by toddao »

I've had to fix my front windows more times than I can count now. Always the same problem : the metal channels that were originally glued to the glass ( in which the scissor mechanism moves), simply fall off. I've used various high performance glues and lastly very strong double sided tape which worked all last summer and until today..

First of the fine days for this year, pressed the button to lower the window and they've both come adrift again. Probably from not being used for several months. So now I'm looking for a better fix.

I heard there was a 'conversion kit' available at some point to make the Mk.1 windows like the later models. Does anyone know about this? Or have some good ideas how I can repair this permanently?

Thanks
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I didn't know they were glued :? as for the conversion kit, it's simply an aluminium channel that fits on the bottom of the window with the aid of a rubber trim to protect the glass from the metal, it does however make it a VERY tight fit. :shock:
They think it's all over, it is now!
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Hi Ken,
ken newbold wrote:I didn't know they were glued :? as for the conversion kit, it's simply an aluminum channel that fits on the bottom of the window with the aid of a rubber trim to protect the glass from the metal, it does however make it a VERY tight fit. :shock:
The MK1 19 RD and DTR's that I owned once, had the bonded on rail/channel's and I had removed both full window sets as spares but sadly I scrapped the windows only approx. 10 months ago
(The cars were scrapped many years ago).

Also this subject was discussed in THIS wanted thread a while ago !

Todd, IMHO the best fix is to source some secondhand windows with the revised rubber Aluminum rail's already fitted or just a set of good rails which you could fit onto your existing window's if yours are tinted/not tinted ?
But take care not to smash them when forcing the rails on to your window glass !

:D

RxBX
Last edited by RxBX on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for replies! Yes mine is a Mk.1 TRD/DTR. Very interesting that old thread.

I just had a look on the service Citroen site and the channels are still available - unbelievably - though almost every other component is discontinued.
I tried to post the diagram here but as soon as I logged out of Service Citroen the link disappeared! ( anyone know how to do this so it stays?) I wanted to verify it was the correct piece.

Or I will try to source some complete later windows.
Todd

macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

^^^^ Does this help you out?

Image (Click thumbnail for larger image)
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Yo Todd

AEP Glasgow are listing the rubber seal you will want here :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:en

I actually bought a rear window channel in ally from them for 8.28 in October09.
They dont list them any more but may still have stock. Their part number is : CIT347B Citroen p/no 95633347
They might have a front one as well..............

Hope this helps.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for replies fellas. I ordered two of the 'No.2' piece ( a la diagram) from ' Autohaus Göhm' the local Citroen/Ferrari/Maserati/ Lamborghini/Bentley dealers this morning.
I parked the ole TRD between a new Ferrari California and some Lambo and strolled in across the showroom past €€€s of Italian flash, into the parts room at the back and ordered two of the required for €18 each. All the new Citroens are parked in a yard out back!
I never get used to going in that place! Heaven knows why they still handle Citroen?

Anyway, I got to thinking that it'll be hard to fit these new channels as they have to be fitted with the window in situ in order to engage the runners on the scissor mechanism properly and there's no space to swing a hammer. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Thanks
Todd

macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

toddao wrote:Anyway, I got to thinking that it'll be hard to fit these new channels as they have to be fitted with the window in situ in order to engage the runners on the scissor mechanism properly and there's no space to swing a hammer. Can anyone suggest an alternative?
Fitting them to the glass once removed from the car? I don't understand why they have to be done in situ???
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

How would you get the glass (with channel) back in the door? I've not looked in detail at a BX glass/winder mechanism but when I've replaced glass on other cars, have put the glass in on its own from the top, then pushed on the channel whilst it's in the door.

No great ideas I'm afraid Todd, but a bit of lube may help. Can you use the winder itself to push on the channel?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
macplaxton
BXpert

Post by macplaxton »

Granted, I've never done a BX one and it may be completely wrong, but done a few other vehicles all of which involved removing some of the trim around the slot in the door shell and angling the glass in complete with support channel. With the weather strips removed from the slot, the slot should be big enough to get glass and support channel through.

Then when refitting the regulator, slide the rollers of that into the glass support channel. before fixing the regulator handle in, back to the shell.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

You can get the window out complete with the channel still attached, its fiddly but possible, removing the window scraper moulding/weather seal will make it a alot easier aswell as thw inder mechanism itself.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You may well be right, and I've previously done it the 'wrong' way. I honestly can't remember whether there has been enough room previously (again non BX) to get the channel in as well. I must admit the thought never crossed my mind!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Well, plenty to consider there! Thankyou.
The problem I had before was that once I had re-applied the channel and slipped the glass back into the door it was - or seemed - impossible to get both the rollers on at the same time because they each require a different angle of attack.
I was already considering a bit of washing up liquid. I'll report in once I collect the new channels on Friday and have a bash.
Todd

Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Actually it is much easier to do this with the window out of the door. The new channel will be a very tight fit.

There is a bit of a technique in refitting it into the door. I usually support the window on a piece of wood in the door after sliding in the roller into the window channel.
It is then an easy job to fit the short runner on the other roller and then onto the inside of the door before whipping out the wooden prop.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Roverman wrote:removing the window scraper moulding/weather seal will make it a alot easier
This gives a little more room but increases the likely hood of scratching the window 10 fold. If i remove the rubber strip then i will put a sheet of stick back plastic on the window before putting the window in (very easy to get back off).

I find getting the windows in and out pretty much childs play on a Mk2, my only tips would be dont be afraid of breaking the window, its VERY tough, dont be afraid of bashing the bolts holding the scissors in the door (to push them through the metal), and, most importantly, DONT force the scissor mechnisim or you'll bend the arms then the motor will wear out, and you'll keep swapping it before you realise what a clown you've been!